generator neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

e150club

code is to install a dpdt transfer switch. what about the neutral when the utility power comes back on could that blow a diode on the generator. also for a temp. portable set up turning off the main or pulling the meter [even both] would do the same as a dpdt switch. i know that if someone closed the main a utility worker could die. thanks e150club

bphgravity

Your first question doesn't compute.

Even temporary generator installations are required to be code compliant. Pulling a meter generally requires utility POCO approval...

jtester

I am conused about where you are going with this. Not switching a neutral inside a transfer switch is very common. Can you elaborate a bit on your question.

Jim T

e150club

my second concern is if the neutral from the utility and the neutral from the gen. are on a commen bus can this cause a live neutral/ground type of short even if the gen. is well grounded thus causing a poof in the generator. poof is slang but the best word to use i think.

jtester

I don't see how you can have a neutral-ground short when neutral and ground are already bonded together. One idea behind not switching the neutral is that the utility neutral is a great ground connection.

You won't have a problem with the generator and the utility neutrals tied together.

Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.