generator questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

hey guys got a couple questions about hooking up generators. first one I dont want to back feed poco. SO the guy only has a meter on the outside of his house. He has a 100a main breaker inside his garage. If I disconect feed wires from the breaker and hooked up generator to breaker would this be correct setup? What size wire would I need to use to feed breaker from generator? ALso in this setup how could I set up an ats to feed his house? thanks

ron

Re: generator questions

I'm not sure I'm following your plan properly. If you disconnect the feeder from the meter to the main disco and then connect the generator output to that breaker, then the homeowner would have to run the generator all the time for power.

Will the generator carry the whole house or sized only for certain loads?
Will it be auto start or manual?

southernboys

Ron thanks for your quick reply. Let me explain a little more. I live in se alabama nw florida area. Were getting ready for hurricane dennis. Last year we were out of power for 3 weeks after Ivan. So he wants a generator to keep food and such. It will be manual start however he would like to make automatic sized for a few small loads as it is a small generator

ron

Good luck with Dennis. I have a project in Birmingham that I'm supposed to fly in on Monday night, depending on Dennis.
You probably want to set up a small subpanel for the loads he wants to back-up. You have several choices for the subpanel, such as dual interlocked main breakers, or many choices available at distributors and home stores. The link below is a cool product called pro/tran which is setup for smaller generators connected to a subpanel. I have one of their other products in MY home and like it (TTV2005D Panel/Link).
http://reliancecontrols.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.