Generator - Residential Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which service calculation do I use for determining a whole house generator? Optional or Standard. Trying to avoid load shedding as much as possible. New 5800 sq ft home with 60K generator

kwired

Electron manager
Either.

Thing to remember is utility power is more robust but a bigger issue may not be total load but whether or not the generator is capable of starting some of your larger motor loads and/or without too much voltage drop when doing so.

kwired

Electron manager
A 60 KW should start anything in that house. Even standby backup electric heat is staged. I venture to guess you would have to purposely attempt to overload that generator.
Yes 60 kW is a lot of generator for most houses. He didn't give details of what this house actually has. Can probably get by on 1/4 of that capacity on most houses you or I commonly see, electric heat being one exception. Huge mansion with a commercial venue style party room and even hotel style guest rooms/suites - who knows what the needs may be.

A 60 KW should start anything in that house. Even standby backup electric heat is staged. I venture to guess you would have to purposely attempt to overload that generator.

The problem I have is, plans show load shedding 18 appliance circuits (not Heat) we are in Florida. The calculations on plans are not correct. So I have to change them. I typically use optional method for main service. Not sure if that applies to calculation of generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.