Generator Sizing for 240/120V 3-phase system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jey-L

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi All,

I've got a retrofit job for a commercial building where I need to install a standby genset. Service is open delta 3-phase (120/240V). From my research, it appears like I will have to provide a generator wired for high leg delta. Given that a good bit of the load is single phase loads (apart from the elevator and three AC units), one of the phases (with the neutral, lets call it A-B) will be quite a bit more loaded than the other two. So, how do you take that into consideration for sizing.

Thinking out loud, I just need to size it to ensure that phase A-B is not overloaded, right? For example, if I have 50kW of single phase loads, and I have a 150kW 3-phase unit, would the real capacity for each phase be 43.5kW (87% of 50kW)?

Forgive my ignorance, ALL of my experience has been in large industrial plants. Never looked at an open delta service until this week!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi All,

I've got a retrofit job for a commercial building where I need to install a standby genset. Service is open delta 3-phase (120/240V). From my research, it appears like I will have to provide a generator wired for high leg delta. Given that a good bit of the load is single phase loads (apart from the elevator and three AC units), one of the phases (with the neutral, lets call it A-B) will be quite a bit more loaded than the other two. So, how do you take that into consideration for sizing.

Thinking out loud, I just need to size it to ensure that phase A-B is not overloaded, right? For example, if I have 50kW of single phase loads, and I have a 150kW 3-phase unit, would the real capacity for each phase be 43.5kW (87% of 50kW)?

Forgive my ignorance, ALL of my experience has been in large industrial plants. Never looked at an open delta service until this week!

Been a while since I did one, but Cummins and the other major vendors used to make gensets with a generator end that allowed you to load the machine up to 100% on the 2 center tapped legs when connected in a 240/120 center tapped delta arrangement. You'll have to check with them. Without this you waste an awful lot of engine capacity.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

If this were an open-delta transformer bank, I would use this fomula for the maximum size; KVA = T + 1.5S, where T=three phase load, and S=single phase load.

So, in your case, I would be asking the generator manufacturer.

Jey-L

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yeah, I’ve got an SOS out to Cummins right now. Everybody is selling so many sets, I don’t know when I’ll hear back from them. Will post my finding here for anybody interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't this fall under the 87% of two transformers or 57% of three transformers?

Further clarification:
Since both transformers have to supplied three phase loading, one transformer will be at 8.6 KVA (150 kVA/87%). The other transformer has to supply single phase and three phase loading thus the second transformer is rated at 58.6 KVA (8.6 KVA+50 KVA).

Total KVA for transformer = 67.2 KVA (8.6 KVA +58.6 KVA)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.