Generator transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelco

Residential Auto transfer sw. is it required to switch the neutral? ahj said that he wants it done so but i cannot find this in the code. ATS provided with Gen package does not sw neatral.

fc

Re: Generator transfer switch

Did you ask why? I would ask him to tell you where in the NEC you may find that.

shelco

I did not ask at this point. This inspector does not like to be questioned. (some sort of complex i would guess)so i want to be fully versed before
entering that areana. I have not had this be a problem before.

davedottcom

Shelco, is the neutral bonded to the ground at the generator or are they seperate?

Dave

fc

Is the generator neutral bonded to the frame? If it is then you would have to switch the neutral.It would be wired as a SDS. If the neutral is not bonded to the frame it would not be a SDS and you must not switch the neutral.
Is the generator on the job site? Maybe the neutral is bonded to the frame and that's why he told you you need to switch the neutral.

davedottcom

fc is on the right track.
The simple truth is just because they bought the equipment together doesn't mean it is compatible.

Shelco, there are tons of threads dealing with your situation. Your inspector probably failed you on 250.20 (D)

Dave

shelco

Equipment is not on site and he did not fail.
This is a new home and when he did the rough in the builder stated that he was having a gen. installed. The neutral is not bonded on the ATS/panel. Just because the factory sent it as a package is not an indicator that it is compliant to local code. This is why I ask. Also the factory ATS/panel has the circ. wires in a flex that goes from main panel to ATS/panel but only one neutral wire sized #4 (70 amp panel. Inspector in this area insists on one neutral for each circt. This I tend to agree with.

davedottcom

Shelco, I don't agree with the requiring of seperate neutrals from the TS / Load Center. It's a sub panel. That would be like running seperate neutrals for every circuit in any other sub panel.
That's good that the N's & G's are not bonded at the TS. Now you just need to confirm that they are seperate at the Gen too, and you'll be in good shape.
Mike Holt has an excellent book "Grounding vs. Bonding" that addresses the neutral very clearly.

I'm glad to hear the inspector is concerned, however switching the neutral is not ALWAYS necessary.

Dave

shelco

Dave
The situation is that the circ neutral is originated in the main panel and the circuit wires are being rerouted to the ast panel (sub panel) breakers so the power source is in one panel and the neutral is in another. I may be over complicating this but on the surface it seems odd.

davedottcom

Not odd at all!
That's how it's done!

Think of it like you ran a switch leg to a switch and back using a 14/2. No neutral.
Same difference!

:)

Dave

shelco

Dave

Makes sense now. Some times you look so hard for the right answer that you overlook the obvious.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.