Generator transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I was asked to set up a transfer switch for a home with an 200 amp panel. On the property is an greenhouse on a separate service from the house, with it's own transfer switch and generator...they say the generator has ample power, and they have run a cable back to the house to back up the home power as well as the greenhouse. What do I need to know about the grounding when it comes to generators and Main service panels? Anything else I need to know about placing a transfer switch in the house, being fed from the greenhouse generator?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is your transfer switch at the house automatic or manual and under what Code cycle will the job be installed ?
Does the TS switch the neutral ?

powerplay

At the greenhouse I believe that the neutral isn't switched, and at the house, it will be manual to keep the cost down. What scenarious do the neutrals get switched, and the generator grounded? ..thanks in advance!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the neutral is not switched, then the neutral at the generator should not be bonded to frame. You will need you phase and neutral conductors from the generator to the house as well as an equipment ground to ground the generator frame, etc.
Check Art 225 Part II in reference to a disconnecting means at the house.
Some generator manufacturers ask for a ground rod connection to the generator frame but there is no NEC requirement for such (other than 110.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.