generator use after outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What does anyone think about this from an utility?
Safety continues to be a major concern. Since many people are using portable generators, we want to remind them to never operate a portable generator indoors. When operating a portable generator, first open the main breaker or remove the main fuses before connecting the generator to your electrical system. Failure to do this could seriously injure utility crews working on outside power lines, and/or it could cause damage to a neighbor's property or the customer's own equipment.
Source for above.
I guess they know people will be using generators without proper transfer equipment, so they are trying to help protect their people as the power is being restored.
Info and pictures of southern Illinios storm damage from last Friday. I drove though the area shortly after the storm. Many roads were blocked with trees and power poles. The damage was over about 25 miles along I-57. They are calling the storm an "inland" huricane. Ameren has about 1900 people working on the power restoration now. They lost 13 transmission lines...34.5 kV and up for Ameren.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Nothing in the post about 702.6 Exception. Assuming this to refer to utilities only?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What does anyone think about this from an utility?
I think it gives the false impression that the use of a transfer switch is optional, rather than mandantory.

I also think they should have given a strict warning that anything else is very dangerous and very illegal.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Nothing in the post about 702.6 Exception. Assuming this to refer to utilities only?
The information from the utility was aimed at the home owner. They are not talking about generators that may have been connected by the utility. This information was posted on the Ameren's page for the Southern Illinois outage that occured last Friday and the restoration is ongoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.