Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmanda24

I need a portable generator to supply a 60 amp temporary construction trailer.
that would be 7200 running watts, however when I look at generators this size, the biggest outlet on them is a 30 amp120/240 outlet. Can you guys recommend a suitable generator, I appreciate all of your help as the customer needs this fast

dmanda24

looked at that one, it has one 50 amp twistlock and 3 30 amps twistlock, I don't think it would be that much of a big deal to change the main circuit breaker to 50 amps and use this generator, would it, the trailer had a 30 amp circuit for the a/c and I think one circuit for outlets, and one for lights.
question, the gen has breakers for the outlets, do I need to change the 60 amp breaker in the trailer?

iwire

Staff member
dmanda24 said:
looked at that one, it has one 50 amp twistlock and 3 30 amps twistlock, I don't think it would be that much of a big deal to change the main circuit breaker to 50 amps and use this generator, would it, the trailer had a 30 amp circuit for the a/c and I think one circuit for outlets, and one for lights.
question, the gen has breakers for the outlets, do I need to change the 60 amp breaker in the trailer?

I have wired a lot of construction trailers and not one was plugged in. A 15 KW genset should have terminals for hardwiring as well as the outlets.

Typically I use SER from generator to the panel in the trailer, if conditions are rough I sleeve it in PVC where needed. But some areas may force the use of flexible cord from Article 400. You need to drive ground rods as well.

dmanda24

Thanks Bob, does it make a difference whether I bond the ground and neutral at the generator or at the panel?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
dmanda24 said:
I don't think it would be that much of a big deal to change the main circuit breaker to 50 amps and use this generator, would it,

No, you need not change the trailer's breaker. The genny breaker will suffice as OCP.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
dmanda24 said:
Thanks Bob, does it make a difference whether I bond the ground and neutral at the generator or at the panel?
It should only be done once. If the genny gives you the option, I'd probably suggest bonding at the trailer's panel.

How is the trailer panel wired now, bonded or not?

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
I think there's a 90% chance it's not bonded. Most of them ship with the grounds and neutrals separated.

I believe the listing requires isolated neutrals at the manufactured building. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.