Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm installing a 17kw Generac Generator in side a house in the cellar. How far away do I need to stay away from the wall with the generator? I looked in the instruction manual and it did not tell me anything to answer my question? Is it in the NEC? If so where?
Thanks
Nikrap Cirtcele

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I'm installing a 17kw Generac Generator in side a house in the cellar. How far away do I need to stay away from the wall with the generator? I looked in the instruction manual and it did not tell me anything to answer my question? Is it in the NEC? If so where?
Thanks
Nikrap Cirtcele

There are fire codes, ventilation and exhaust considerations also, I had a customer request this type of intall once, he did not want the city to know he had an illegal ham radio repeater in his house:rolleyes: He did not like the quote, he thought we could just run a pipe out the wall for the exhaust and that was it. He did not take into consideration the amount of heat created by the motor, the fire hazard if the motor failed, and many other things.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have never installed one indoors, but the same thing came up on an exterior install. The manual says to check with local codes, and the AHJ says use the manual.

Since the unit has no rear louvers, we tucked it close to the wall per the customer's request. There's enough clearance for the gas line and flexible connection, about 5".

Status
Not open for further replies.