Generators in RVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
At my last class on Grounding Vs Bonding, a question was asked on What are the requirements for a generator in an RV?
Section 551.30 Generator Installations and Section 551.31 Multiple Supply sources apply, neither reference Art 250.30.
As I am not familar with RVs w/gensets, they do have ATS's, and is there a system bonding jumper in the genset?
Are the generators hard wired to the RV? or are they cord and plug connected?

But since no reference is made to Art 250 then no ground rods are required even if its a SDS and separatly derived.

My RV has a 50 watt solar panel.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I should think that the NEC has no place in an RV, unless you are sitting at the RV's dining table and are using it to prepare for your next class. It's a manufactured item, and the NEC does not apply to its design or construction.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Charlie,
It's a manufactured item, and the NEC does not apply to its design or construction.
What about 551.1?
551.1 Scope
The provisions of this article cover the electrical conductors and equipment other than low-voltage and automotive vehicle circuits or extensions thereof, installed within or on recreational vehicles, the conductors that connect recreational vehicles to a supply of electricity, and the installation of equipment and devices related to electrical installations within a recreational vehicle park.
Don

steved

I work for an RV manufacturer and we are subject to the NEC for line-voltage wiring. This may vary in other jurisdictions.

According to the ANSI A119.2 Standard on Recreational Vehicles section 4.4,
All electrical installations, systems, and equipment shall comply with Article 551, Parts I and III through VI, of NFPA 70, National Electrical Code. All low voltage electrical installations, systems, and equipment shall comply with ANSI/RVIA 12V, Low Voltage Systems in Conversion and Recreational Vehicles.

Neutral and ground are bonded inside the generator. The generator may be either cord-and-plug connected or hard-wired to a transfer switch. If a transfer switch is used, it must switch the neutral.

No ground rod is needed, but the generator must be effectively bonded to the chassis.

In an RV, the neutral bar in the distribution panel is insulated. (551.54(C))

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
steved said:
In an RV, the neutral bar in the distribution panel is insulated. (551.54(C))
And heavy-appliance circuits have always required separate ground and neutral conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.