Generators outdoor events

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscheeler

Is it necessary to permit electrical installations
that are powered by generators for Events that are temporary in nature usually one week or less.
These may include Stages with considerable lighting as well as several hundred 20 amp 110 volt circuits for artists and 20 or so 60 amp 1 phase 208 circuits for food vendors. Is there a exclusion for a certain size or voltage
of generators. Generator suppliers indicate they are not required to be inspected or permited in the city of Fort Worth or use licensed electricans. Is this possible per NEC CODE :confused: :confused:

bphgravity

Re: Generators outdoor events

The scope of the code does not cover permitting and other administrative concerns. The local building department and AHJ will have the final say on the matter, certainly not the supplier. Article 80 of the 2002 NEC is only for informative purposes and not manadorty requirements.

s.d. cronk

I agree with bphgravity the NEC does not permit installations or determine the requirements for permitting,but it may be used as a standard for the inspection of the installation of said project. The local building deparment will make that determination according to their laws.

iwire

Staff member

Here in MA a carnival is likely to get a permit and be inspected but a one night concert might slip in without either.

If I was hooking this up I would want permit and inspection as a CYA type of thing.

Even if inspections are not required following Articles 525, 445, 250 etc would be a good practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.