generic name for QuickPort(TM) wallplates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I thought keystones were the little things that snap into the ports. I was asking for a name for the plate with the ports. I guess you could call it "plate with ports for keystones," but that seems a bit wordy.

kwired

Electron manager
Isn't "keystone" a product that is made to specific design, including dimensions? I know there are some products that won't interchange with other brands but if it says "keystone" in designations I think it will fit any brand that also says "keystone" in the designations. Is possible Leviton's "quickport" series is keystone compatible though.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
"Keystone" jacks are systems with interchangeable jack modules (telephone, cable, data, blanks, etc.) and wall plates that can take from one to six or more modules, one and two gang. There are also surface mount housings that use the modules.
Isn't "keystone" a product that is made to specific design, including dimensions? I know there are some products that won't interchange with other brands but if it says "keystone" in designations I think it will fit any brand that also says "keystone" in the designations. Is possible Leviton's "quickport" series is keystone compatible though.

No. There are many manufacturers, and every manufacturer makes their products differently. Most manufacturers products are not interchangeable with other manufacturers. You can't count on one jack module fitting another manufacturer's wall plate. I usually have to change the whole plate out if I have to add a jack.

I have standardized on Leviton for many years and it seems to be the most used around here.

-Hal

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"Keystone" jacks are systems with interchangeable jack modules (telephone, cable, data, blanks, etc.) and wall plates that can take from one to six or more modules, one and two gang. There are also surface mount housings that use the modules.

No. There are many manufacturers, and every manufacturer makes their products differently. Most manufacturers products are not interchangeable with other manufacturers. You can't count on one jack module fitting another manufacturer's wall plate. I usually have to change the whole plate out if I have to add a jack.

I have standardized on Leviton for many years and it seems to be the most used around here.

-Hal

I like Leviton, but they seem expensive. Since I haven't bought any yet, I'm looking for a brand to standardize on. I think the Home Depot Commercial Electric brand is interchangeable with Leviton, and their plates are a little cheaper, but their keystone jacks may be more expensive. A supply house near me has the Legrand brand listed for low prices, but they don't seem to actually stock much of it. I was searching online and found a site "Primus Cable." I am leaning towards standardizing with their products.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
It seems CCJ (Cheap Chinese Junk) has cornered this kind of product. Stay with a known brand like Leviton, Legrand, ICC. (icc.com) Icc has become pretty popular in the LV industry. Haven't heard of Primus but looking at them they look pretty good. Guaranteed anything from Home Depot is junk as well as most stuff on the internet!

Whoever you go with absolutely get the crimper tool to go with the jacks. Cuts install time to one quarter.

Another very useful tool is a wire mapper because we all make mistakes. A wire mapper checks to see that you have all your wires in the right place as well as shorts and opens. Not a certifier. Check every run that you terminate. Simple insurance for when the customer calls and says that their computer won't work with your jack. If it tests good it ain't you. I have used a Siemon STM8 forever.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
All of the keystones I have seen and used are interchangeable: Leviton, ICC, Legrand, On-Q, Commercial, etc.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
All of the keystones I have seen and used are interchangeable: Leviton, ICC, Legrand, On-Q, Commercial, etc.

Good to know. Wasn't always like that, Leviton and ICC were the big players along with Hubbell. I know Hubbell and Leviton weren't interchangeable. Didn't see much ICC so I can't comment. On-Q is residential stuff, wouldn't use it. No idea who Commercial is. Best advice is to standardize on one quality manufacturer and not worry about whether you can stick your modules in somebody else's plates.

Imagine one manufacturer's receptacles or switches not working with another manufacturer's wall plate. All keystones should be standardized. But that's how they make their money by making you buy their plates too.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Good to know. Wasn't always like that, Leviton and ICC were the big players along with Hubbell. I know Hubbell and Leviton weren't interchangeable. Didn't see much ICC so I can't comment. On-Q is residential stuff, wouldn't use it. No idea who Commercial is. Best advice is to standardize on one quality manufacturer and not worry about whether you can stick your modules in somebody else's plates.

Imagine one manufacturer's receptacles or switches not working with another manufacturer's wall plate. All keystones should be standardized. But that's how they make their money by making you buy their plates too.

-Hal
I used to use (from supply house) a series from Legrand, that was not interchangeable with any other series/brand. That is part of why I earlier mentioned "keystone" might be a standard that if they mention that name it will fit into the plates or frames of others that also mention "keystone". I don't do a lot of communications but seems to be how my experiences have gone with this as well.

Commercial Electric is a private label name at Home Depot. Products under that name could very well be made by a big player in the industry or could be made in China. Whoever they happen to contract with. If the big player makes it it may be in many ways similar to what they put their own name on but won't necessarily be made to all the same standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.