Get foot in door

Status
Not open for further replies.

William1978

I guess someone didn't like my other comment, about if you come into the union as a JW you will be black balled and called a scab and a rat.
In the charlotte N.C. area you can make more money non union. The scale around here is 19.90 for a JW 115% for a foreman and 120% for general forman. There is non union contractors here paying between $25-30$ an hour for a JW

jrannis

iwire said:
That makes sense, I am 20 minutes from Boston.

Where does the difference go? Is that for health care, vacations etc?

Local 103 Boston

Journeyman Scale: $ 40.73
Health & Welfare: 9.50
Pension: 6.05
Annuity: 5.30
Vacation: ----
Working Assessments: $0.92

jrannis

William1978 said:
I guess someone didn't like my other comment, about if you come into the union as a JW you will be black balled and called a scab and a rat.
In the charlotte N.C. area you can make more money non union. The scale around here is 19.90 for a JW 115% for a foreman and 120% for general forman. There is non union contractors here paying between $25-30$ an hour for a JW

We call them "Brother" here in Miami

jrannis

William1978 said:

IBEW Local Union 379 Charlotte North Carolina

Journeyman Scale: $ 20.75
Health & Welfare: 4.50
Pension: 8%
Annuity: 0
Vacation: 0
Working Assessments: 4%

quogueelectric

William1978 said:
Once again that is not true. I know many men taken into a union who have never been called a scab or a rat.
If you go to school with other people for 5 years and someone gets to skip 2 of the 5 years for whatever reason it will stand out like a sore thumb when there is a question reguarding that year or years of training.
Not all training is done by the unions and there are a millions of great electricians out there that are not in a union.
You are what you apply yourself to be. I have worked both in a union and not in a union
in this country and out of this country and people are the same .
By the time you learn the language you willreallize the same problems exist.
No one is better or worse if that is where william is going with this.
You are what you are how you treat others selfish or unselfish .
You have to live with your self and depending on your reguard for others and what they call a conscience you either are a standup guy or not.
Dont blame others for your own shortfalls.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Well said Cow! I'm union here in Alaska My check is either $34.95 or $37.45 if I'm foreman. I have a lot of friends on the North slope working for the oil companies in a non union status for $45+ an hour. We have non union in Anchorage that think $25 is all they need to pay.

Our Governor's (maybe you've heard or her? Sarah Barracuda running for VP!) husband works union on the North Slope.

But it doesn't matter if your union, non union, democrat, republican or third party, it's the people that make the gig. I would have have a positive attitude at the interview, and let them know that you are a good empoyee, and have a list of reasons in your head, that you can give, that support your point. When I got in 1986 the clincher for the deal was that I was working at a non-union shop. I kept looking at my watch during the interviewing process. One of the contractors wanted to know what was up with the watch watching? Told them I was wasting my contractor's time being here, and asked the board -

" I can do it with you, or without you gentlemen, what's it going to be?" Got an acceptance letter in three weeks.

jrannis

Rockyd said:
Well said Cow! I'm union here in Alaska My check is either $34.95 or $37.45 if I'm foreman. I have a lot of friends on the North slope working for the oil companies in a non union status for $45+ an hour. We have non union in Anchorage that think $25 is all they need to pay.

Our Governor's (maybe you've heard or her? Sarah Barracuda running for VP!) husband works union on the North Slope.

But it doesn't matter if your union, non union, democrat, republican or third party, it's the people that make the gig. I would have have a positive attitude at the interview, and let them know that you are a good empoyee, and have a list of reasons in your head, that you can give, that support your point. When I got in 1986 the clincher for the deal was that I was working at a non-union shop. I kept looking at my watch during the interviewing process. One of the contractors wanted to know what was up with the watch watching? Told them I was wasting my contractor's time being here, and asked the board -

" I can do it with you, or without you gentlemen, what's it going to be?" Got an acceptance letter in three weeks.

Anchorage LU 1547
Journeyman Scale: $ 34.85
Health & Welfare: 7.82
Pension: 6.15
Annuity: 2.50

I Think thats $51.32, Looks like $45 is nice but not the best.

iwire

Staff member
William1978 said:

No, those terms are offensive and have no place on this forum.

So if you would like to see this thread stay open drop the use of those words.

SEO

I've got a lot or experience in this area and the only statement that I'll make is that I have had electricians work for me that went thru the apprenticeship and got their JIW card and electricians that did not and got their JIW card. I look at each one as a man and that goes for a merit shop electrician as well!

quogueelectric

jrannis said:
Local 103 Boston

Journeyman Scale: $ 40.73
Health & Welfare: 9.50
Pension: 6.05
Annuity: 5.30
Vacation: ----
Working Assessments: $0.92
Update local 25 long island NY 44.75/hr+29.30hr fringe benefits=74.05 /hr total package thru 4/25/2009 45.75 /hr+30.52/hr fringe benefits=76.27/hr total package.

quogueelectric

SEO said:
I've got a lot or experience in this area and the only statement that I'll make is that I have had electricians work for me that went thru the apprenticeship and got their JIW card and electricians that did not and got their JIW card. I look at each one as a man and that goes for a merit shop electrician as well!
What is a merit shop electrician????

peter d

quogueelectric said:
Like Piece work so much money for so many devices finished???

No, not really. There are any number of factors considered but some of them are things like finishing a job on time and under budget.For apprentices this would be things like being able to learn new tasks quickly and doing jobs assigned to you without error or rework.

Certainly production is taken into account but being able to use your brain is also taken into account as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.