Getting shock while takin shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

Got a call from building super; one apartment in an old multifamily building (4 floors like 40 apartments) One apartmente on 3rd floor, people are getting a tingle while taking shower. They say they get shocked when they reach anything from the window, right next to the tub which is tiled. I checked voltage from water knob to the wet tile on the window and read 12 vac. Turned all breakers off from that apartment and still have the voltage. Will com back tomorrow to turned power from apartment above and below, see what happens, any ideas what else to check? Thanks

normbac

could be traveling on stucco wire if it is stucco might have to shut down main cb 1 unit at a
time till it de energizes then one branch at a time when you find it
had similar problem needed to kill line and run new one when we found it probably screw
through wire contractor didn't want to damage walls so new circuit was cleanest way to fix.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
could be traveling on stucco wire if it is stucco might have to shut down main cb 1 unit at a
time till it de energizes then one branch at a time when you find it
had similar problem needed to kill line and run new one when we found it probably screw
through wire contractor didn't want to damage walls so new circuit was cleanest way to fix.

Being a multi unit for my answer I would think that everyone would be feeling it, but has the water service been changed out? Or possibly the water heater? Does each unit have it's own water service or is it one for the building?

The reason I ask is if the building is old enough you could have lost your ground.

mtnelectrical

yes we found it. Normback that was exactly what we did. first we shut down the main to see if power disapeared and it did, then we did the owner main, it was there in one circuit for old lights near the roof that was all around the building that was giving the voltage. We cancelled the circuit it was not needed anymore. Checked water pipes clamps missing installed them but the problem persisted until we found the circuit. Thank you for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.