Getting your Class II EC Contractors license in GA while working in the state of FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkm1

Occupation
Journeyman to Contractor
hey guys,
I've worked in the state of Florida for the past 5 years as a electrician/estimator. I don't have enough experience yet to get my license in the state of Florida but by Georgia's rules it says I have enough experience. Can I qualify to get the Class II EC Contractors license in Georgia with my Florida references and experience?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Georgia does have reciprocity with Florida but from what I heard it is not that simple. I would call the Florida state board of examiners

growler

Can I qualify to get the Class II EC Contractors license in Georgia with my Florida references and experience?
You will have to apply and see if the board accepts your references and experience. I used some from other states.

If accepted then you would be required to test for your license.

There are people from other states that hold a georgia contractors license. Many of these people live in bordering states and do contract work in georgia.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You will have to apply and see if the board accepts your references and experience. I used some from other states.

There are people from other states that hold a georgia contractors license. Many of these people live in bordering states and do contract work in georgia.
I am surprised that Florida or another state with more qualifications would allow you to use a license from a state with less qualifications. Surely they are aware that this is going on.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think FL was good in NC until FL started reciprocating with GA, now I don’t think they do. I have a Georgia class II, but took the Florida journeyman later on, but it was probably before they reciprocated.

growler

I am surprised that Florida or another state with more qualifications would allow you to use a license from a state with less qualifications. Surely they are aware that this is going on.
His Georgia license wouldn't be any good in florida.

For reciprication I think you need to hold a license for 5 years and then get a letter from the state board that you are in good standing and all this will alow is for you not to have to take whatever part is the test that is the same as in your home state. You still need a licensed for the state where you wish to work and probably a business license also.

If the company that the OP works for wishes to contract work in georgia he could qualify for them if he obtains a georgia license..

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
His Georgia license wouldn't be any good in florida.

For reciprication I think you need to hold a license for 5 years and then get a letter from the state board that you are in good standing and all this will alow is for you not to have to take whatever part is the test that is the same as in your home state. You still need a licensed for the state where you wish to work and probably a business license also.

If the company that the OP works for wishes to contract work in georgia he could qualify for them if he obtains a georgia license..

That's what I thought when I said it isn't so simple... I thought there would be more to it.

growler

That's what I thought when I said it isn't so simple... I thought there would be more to it.
For some like you it wouldn't be that hard to get a georgia license if you took the same block test to get a North Carolina license. At least you wouldn't have to take the test over again. I'm not at all sure I could pass it without a lot of study. Code has changed a lot in the last few years.

But if someone grandfathered into a georgia license then trying to get a licensed in North Carolina then the
georgia license would be useless. It the testing that counts.

It really boils down to if you took the same test in another state (and passed it) then they will honor the results. That's about all reciprocation does for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.