GF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: GF!

Supplying an outside receptacle from the small appliance circuits used to be permissable by the Code, but no more. The last NEC I find it in is 1993 210-52(b)(1)Ex. No. 2

GG

The older homes I go to on service calls have the 2 outdoor receptacles, the bathroom receptacle(s), and the garage receptacle(s) all on 1 GFCI receptacle. When was this the standard practice for residential wiring. Seems like alot of extra romex and work for what little it accomplishes. For the money the EC was saving on GFCIs wasnt he losing it on the extra romex and labor hours needed to install it. :confused:

[ July 18, 2005, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: GG ]

macmikeman

The older homes I go to on service calls have the 2 outdoor receptacles, the bathroom receptacle(s), and the garage receptacle(s) all on 1 GFCI receptacle. When was this the standard practice for residential wiring. Seems like alot of extra romex and work for what little it accomplishes. For the money the EC was saving on GFCIs wasnt he losing it on the extra romex and labor hours needed to install it.
Even earlier,all the above items usually were on a single circuit and fed from a single gfci breaker. The gfi receptacles came later on.

allenwayne

If I remember correctly it was allowed to have kitchen dining, lights on S.A. circuit .Also bath gfci was allowed on the same citcuit as the lighting circuit.93 or 96 cycle changed that :roll:

jimwalker

Makes it hard to do service calls when we often do not know what year code was used at time of consruction.But they need to keep changing codes to sell books :D

romeo

When GFCI protection was first required there were only GFCI breakers and they were a lot more expensive than romex.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I didn't think anybody in Tampa bought a code book anyways. From the picture painted here in the past, it just seemed as though they accepted what some off the wall inspector told them to do. :D

Roger

redfish

After a day of routine ruffing and trimming or remodeling or bending pipe, it's a joy to get into something interesting like this forum and the Code .It helps the old brain get a little exercise. At the risk of sounding boring, the Code is the best book I've read in years, no matter how many times I read it , I still get something out of it. :)

physis

they need to keep changing codes to sell books
My 2002 will probably worn out beforeit's even adopted here and it's only a year old. I think I'd need a new one every three years anyway.

the Code is the best book I've read in years
Well I don't know about all that. I get a head from it. :D But somehow I kind of enjoy it sometimes.

mc5w

When I did 3/4 of a house rewire in 1988 I used 1 of the 3 kitchen small appliance circuits to supply an outdoor receptacle out front that was a straight drop down from the kitchen counter.

When I did a kitchen renovation in 1987 I ran 4 circuit for the countertop outlets ( larger than average kitchen ) and extended 2 of the circuits to the ldining room. I used those 2 circuits to also supplly outdoor receptacles including a small sump pump for surface drainage. The refrigerator was on its own circuit.

In both of these cases there were 3 or more small appliance circuits and I did not see how there could be overloading under normal circumstances except possible with running christmas lights while running a toaster oven.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by mc5w:
When I did 3/4 of a house rewire in 1988 I used 1 of the 3 kitchen small appliance circuits to supply an outdoor receptacle out front that was a straight drop down from the kitchen counter.

When I did a kitchen renovation in 1987 I ran 4 circuit for the countertop outlets ( larger than average kitchen ) and extended 2 of the circuits to the ldining room. I used those 2 circuits to also supplly outdoor receptacles including a small sump pump for surface drainage. The refrigerator was on its own circuit.

In both of these cases there were 3 or more small appliance circuits and I did not see how there could be overloading under normal circumstances except possible with running christmas lights while running a toaster oven.
I'm gonna tell! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.