GFCI adapter tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirebender

I have a customer who has a TV plugged into a GFCI plug-in adapter that trips when she uses the ceiling fan control in her bedroom.
She thought the adapter was a surge protector. I told her it was GFCI and there was no was no benefit using it and to just quit using it.
What causes the trip?

wirebender

Same circuit.
Not MWBC.
AFCI circuit.
Fan control is Leviton. Combination Fan/Light control where the slider on the left controls the fan. Toggle and slider on the left control the light. Light does not trip the GFCI adapter.

gar

Occupation
EE
090223-1812 EST

wirebender:

The fan spooks the GFCI. The house has ghosts and they do not like the fan so revenge is to turn the TV off.

Is it a two or three prong plug on the TV? Besides the power cord what else connects to the TV? For example antenna, cable, tape or disk player, etc?

Disconnect everything except power and see if tripping occurs.

If it still trips disconnect the TV power cord from the GFCI, then see if it trips.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
090223-1812 EST

wirebender:

The fan spooks the GFCI. The house has ghosts and they do not like the fan so revenge is to turn the TV off.

Is it a two or three prong plug on the TV? Besides the power cord what else connects to the TV? For example antenna, cable, tape or disk player, etc?

If it still trips disconnect the TV power cord from the GFCI, then see if it trips.

How about trying a different TV? If it only trips on her TV and not a different one plugged into the same receptacle I would suspect that the TV is the problem. Remove the GFCI and tune to a weak channel with the suspect TV. As you are watching the TV look for changes in the picture as the switch that incites the problem is worked. Those changes may be indicative of an imbalance coming through the power supply. That imbalance may be enough to trip a GFCI, but not enough to notice over stronger signals, especially those from a source other than an aerial.

The best solution is to simply remove the GFCI unless you are also in the TV business or have a nice newer one you are looking to get rid of at a fair price.

wirebender

090223-1812 EST

wirebender:

New house so probably no ghosts.:grin:

TV is all that is plugged into the adapter.

gar

Occupation
EE
090223-2321 EST

wirebender:

Does the GFCI trip every time the fan is turned on or off, or is it a low probability?

Disconnect the coax connection. Then the only connection is the power cord. As I asked earlier is this a 3 or 2 prong cord? With power cord the only connection does the GFCI trip?

If so, then disconnect the TV from the GFCI. Now can you trip the GFCI?

Also when the TV, as currently connected, is in the off state does the GFCI trip?

wirebender

090223-2321 EST

wirebender:

Does the GFCI trip every time the fan is turned on or off, or is it a low probability?

Disconnect the coax connection. Then the only connection is the power cord. As I asked earlier is this a 3 or 2 prong cord? With power cord the only connection does the GFCI trip?

If so, then disconnect the TV from the GFCI. Now can you trip the GFCI?

Also when the TV, as currently connected, is in the off state does the GFCI trip?

Trips every time.

This house is 17 miles from me so I probably won't get a chance to check out all your suggestions. I might call her and get her to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.