GFCI ahead of loadcenter and branch circuits

Todd0x1

I have someone suggesting an installation where a cord and plug connected UPS (30A 4 wire) be installed in a SFR residential garage to supply backed up power to certain branch circuits. Those branch circuits will be moved into a new loadcenter. There will be a L14-30R for the UPS to plug into, and a L14-30P inlet feeding the new loadcenter. The issue is the L14-30R receptacle will have to be GFCI protected because its in the garage. I have been trying to explain to these people that this is a very, very bad idea. Too much 'stuff' connected downstream of a 5ma GFCI, there will be issues with cumulative leakage causing the GFCI breaker to trip frequently. Is there any guidance on how many feet of romex, how many receptacles, and how many various appliances should be connected downstream of a GFCI. I have tried explaining the issue to this contractor and I am just not getting through.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Food for thought,,,,]
The 15-30 receptacle will be feeding a load center therefore it;'s a "feeder" and GFCI protection is not required for feeders only branch circuits.
Not sure if that thinking will fly with the AHJ but you might run it by and see,

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Get a ups that has terminals instead of a receptacle.

I have a hard time seeing how this is code legal given the prohibitions on using cord for permanent parts of the premises wiring.

Todd0x1

Get a ups that has terminals instead of a receptacle.

I have a hard time seeing how this is code legal given the prohibitions on using cord for permanent parts of the premises wiring.
UPS with hard wire terminals not an option here.

As far as code, the cords are not permanent parts of the premises wiring. All the premises wiring is in conduit, the cords are detachable. This is extremely common, from UPS installations to A/V receivers supplying power to a TV via a hardwired inlet/receptacle combo.

Todd0x1

Food for thought,,,,]
The 15-30 receptacle will be feeding a load center therefore it;'s a "feeder" and GFCI protection is not required for feeders only branch circuits.
Not sure if that thinking will fly with the AHJ but you might run it by and see,
I've used that argument in outdoor portable art 525 applications where the inspector was asking about GFI protection on 50 amp receptacles on distribution boxes connected to a generator which in turn feed spider boxes with GFCI protected receptacles.

I don't think that would fly in this situation though as 'feeder' implies part of the premises wiring which the cords here are specifically not part of.