GFCI and AFCI requirements

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
For dwelling units the code specifies all the locations where GFCI protection is required. For most of those locations AFCI protection is also required. I am thinking kitchens for example. So what is the common practice today for new constructions? Do people just provide AFCI/GFCI breakers for pretty much everything?
Kitchen receptacles, dishwasher, disposal, microwave, laundry, fridge, living areas, lighting?

That leaves dryer, ranges and HVAC equipment as GFCI only?

So the entire panel is filled with either GFCI or AFCI breakers?

For dwelling units the code specifies all the locations where GFCI protection is required. For most of those locations AFCI protection is also required. I am thinking kitchens for example. So what is the common practice today for new constructions? Do people just provide AFCI/GFCI breakers for pretty much everything?
Kitchen receptacles, dishwasher, disposal, microwave, laundry, fridge, living areas, lighting?

That leaves dryer, ranges and HVAC equipment as GFCI only?

So the entire panel is filled with either GFCI or AFCI breakers?
Pretty much. I usually do bathroom and outside recep on standard breaker with GFCI recep. Why it's ok to have those Branch circuits not AFCI protected as they run thru the house makes no sense, but AFCI has never made much sense.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I use the dual function/purpose breakers mostly. But if the area just needs AFCI, I try to use just the AFCI. However, some places are just stocking the DF breakers. I also just use a regular breaker for bath, garage, and outside, along with a GFCI receptacle. Bedrooms are AFCI only, but if I'm coming off a bedroom circuit for an outside receptacle, I will use the DF breaker.

I use the dual function/purpose breakers mostly. But if the area just needs AFCI, I try to use just the AFCI. However, some places are just stocking the DF breakers. I also just use a regular breaker for bath, garage, and outside, along with a GFCI receptacle. Bedrooms are AFCI only, but if I'm coming off a bedroom circuit for an outside receptacle, I will use the DF breaker.
Yeah I agree and use AFCI only if GFCI not required, which is kinda silly I admit cuz GFCI is what actually might do something to make it safer - but it saves a little money and easier panel make up cuz the neutral doesn't need to land on the breaker (for Siemens anyway).

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Same here. We have moved all the AFCI and GFCI protection to the panel but only the protection that is required for the circuit. It makes troubleshooting a lot simpler for the homeowner if something trips. Most people go straight to the panel anyway. Plus nobody likes trying to hunt down some GFCI or AFCI receptacle that is who knows where.

Receptacles powered from the 120V gas furnace circuit are an exception, they get a GFCI receptacle. And we have recently started installing GFCI receptacles for outdoor circuits again because that seems more logical. Especially if you have muddy boots, or are a contractor without access inside, etc.

Rob G - Seattle