gfci breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

tower

I installed a gfci breaker in a house about five months ago.I had to go back because the breaker will not hold .it keeps tripping.I isolated the home run to the first jb, and it still trips. I put it on a regular breaker and it holds.its a piece of two wire bx with no grounding wire.is it the wire or the breaker ? how come it held for 4 or 5 months and all of a sudden is acting up

G

Re: gfci breaker

Did you try a second GFCI breaker?

What does your meter tell you?

bennie

Esteemed Member

The GFCI is likely doing what it is intended to do. Check for a ground fault. It may show up on an ohmmeter. If not use a megger.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

YOu most likely have a neutral to ground connection, or enough leakage to trip the GFCI. Does it feed ciruits in a wet or damp area? Does it feed receptacles in bell box? often WP devices will fill up with water.
It is probably not a "bad breaker".
Bennies suggestion is correct, meter the circuit, with the power off and wires disconnected from the CB. also no lighting can be connected. Then you can measure from line to ground, neutral to ground. A megger will find it very quickly. A DMM may not, but an analog meter will probably work.

tower

thanks. i`ll get back to you with the results next week. the home run acually goes from a receptical in the kitchen (counter top )from the panel in a unfinished basement

Status
Not open for further replies.