GFCI circuit breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
A 25 year old GFCI circuit breaker is tripping in the panel. I removed the GFCI breaker and connected the circuit to a conventional breaker. The breaker did not trip. At this point it seems there are two possibilities: the GFCI breaker is defective or the breaker is functioning properly and there is a problem with the circuit causing the breaker to trip.
What are the odds on these two possibilities?

Failing to make the correct choice will result in an unnecessary trip to the supply house.

hurk27

a few simple test while at the location would revel what is the problem.

1 current test of the loads on this circuit to see if the breaker was being over loaded.

2 check between hot and ground to see if there is any leakage resistance

3 check between neutral and ground to see if there is any leakage

if any of the above was found then GFCI breaker was doing its job and is most likely working as designed.

test 2 and 3 will require removal of all the circuit conductors from breaker and neutral bar.

test 4 is after the neutral and grounding has been removed from the neutral bar, test between the neutral and the neutral bar to see it you have a down streem neutral connection from another circuit.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What is the load?
What was it doing when the GFCI tripped?
Can the GFCI breaker hold the load at all?

Disconnect the load from the GFCI breaker, does the GFCI hold?
Use the test button on the GFCI breaker, reset the breaker, does it hold?

I believe loads/wiring fail more often than GFCI breakers (even 25 year old ones).

But, 'often' is not 'always'.

mull982

As hurk27 said check to see if this neutral was used for another "hot" circuit somewhere in the field. The gfi breaker would trip under this condition however a regular breaker would not care.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Update

Update

As I mentioned in original post I replaced gfci breaker with conventional breaker and it did not trip. I purchased a new gfci breaker and it would not reset. The circuit supplies a family room addition (receptacles only) and two out door receptacles. To solve the problem I installed a conventional breaker. I will return soon and install gfci receptacles on the outdoor outlets. Any comments on this solution?

hurk27

As I mentioned in original post I replaced gfci breaker with conventional breaker and it did not trip. I purchased a new gfci breaker and it would not reset. The circuit supplies a family room addition (receptacles only) and two out door receptacles. To solve the problem I installed a conventional breaker. I will return soon and install gfci receptacles on the outdoor outlets. Any comments on this solution?

My best bet is the outdoor receptacles, and or something plugged into these receptacle, moisture is a real big GFCI tripper.

I don't see a problem doing it that way, but becarfule as back in that time frame those GFCi breakers also protected bathroom receptacles, it was very common for them to hit the bathroom recepts then outdoor recepts, so you might want to check the bathroom to see if its on the same circuit.

Last edited:

ceb58

My best bet is the outdoor receptacles, and or something plugged into these receptacle, moisture is a real big GFCI tripper.

I don't see a problem doing it that way, but becarfule as back in that time frame those GFCi breakers also protected bathroom receptacles, it was very common for them to hit the bathroom recepts then outdoor recepts, so you might want to check the bathroom to see if its on the same circuit.

Very true. My house was built in the late 70's. The gfci breaker feeds the bath then goes out side to feed a recp. under the carport and into the utility room recpt.

Status
Not open for further replies.