GFCI for Pentair VS pool pumps

74sparks

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think most are aware by now that the Pentair VS pool pumps don't play well with many brands of GFCI breaker. But short of swapping the whole panel out for Siemens, what solutions exist for adding GFCI to a type-CH panel, when upgrading to a Pentair VS pump? A type-CH 220 GFCI breaker has already been tested here, and experienced random trips.

74sparks

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Figured that was going to be the path. Is any particular Siemens series favored for VS/VFD motors, or do they all play equally well?

I've seen Pentair PA220GF breakers around, mostly at pool and spa suppliers. But short of their IntelliCenter automation load centers, I don't think I've ever seen a simple 2-space load center from Pentair. :unsure:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Figured that was going to be the path. Is any particular Siemens series favored for VS/VFD motors, or do they all play equally well?

I've seen Pentair PA220GF breakers around, mostly at pool and spa suppliers. But short of their IntelliCenter automation load centers, I don't think I've ever seen a simple 2-space load center from Pentair. :unsure:
No idea if one Siemens series is better than another for this application. I think the Pentair breaker is a rebranded Seimens, but not sure

74sparks

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I always thought they looked similar, but hadn't noticed how much, until you said that. I'd say we have a visual match... PA220GF for QF220A.

PA220GF:
1720736398723.png

QF220A:
1720736431898.png
At least that gives me a load center to shop.

Thanks!