GFCI in powder room

Status
Not open for further replies.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Is there any exception in the code that would allow a powder room to not have a receptacle? This is an existing house and the powder room in question is in the middle floor of a 3 story house. Looks like there was some remodeling done at some point and the switch in the room doesn't have a neutral so I can't install a GFCI beside the existing switch. The basement is finished and the power room has a pedestal sink and a toilet. Really no where to store anything such as a hair dryer or anything else. Home inspector said it needed a receptacle but you would have to tear drywall out to get to it. Any suggestions?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It meets the NEC definition of a bathroom so a receptacle is required. The HI is correct.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Someone that has the dollars to remodel a home enough that it requires an inspection, has the money. Do what you need to do. Cut sheetrock, fish wires, etc. Homeowner responsible for finished sheetrock repair if you do not want that portion.
I agree however the current owner just purchased the property and the remodeling was done prior to his purchase. I just disconnected the baseboard heaters as it has heat pumps now. I will advise the owner and let him make the call as to what he want to do to pursue it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rlundsrud

The circuit supplying the GFI would also need to either be dedicated for that bathroom or the circuit used for the other bathrooms. You aren't required a dedicated circuit for each bathroom, there just needs to be at least one dedicated circuit for the bathrooms.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Within 6ft of a sink, needs to be a GFCI circuit. It has zero to do with whether there is room to store a hairdryer or anything.
Just wondering what the NEC's reason was. IMO I wouldn't think someone would use a extension cord to utilize power in that room but who knows.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
It is a Home Inspector. Nothing needs to be done. Would it be nice? Yes. Required? No.
I agree, in a perfect world that would need to be done but for a existing situation I don't know if the owner wants to go the expense of having to tear out drywall and repair it. Ill advise him and he can go from there.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It is a Home Inspector. Nothing needs to be done. Would it be nice? Yes. Required? No.
I also agree. What gives a HI the authority to tell a homeowner that they have to bring an existing bath up to code.

They can make a recommendation but should not enforce.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sometimes you need to just let the HO know the difference between a functional problem from a safety problem. Not having an outlet in the powder room just isn't that big of a deal I don't think. It isn't like someone is shaving in there or curling their hair or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.