GFCI issue, ghost fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical contractor
I'm troubleshooting a GFCI circuit for a customer. Garage circuit, includes outside receptacles, door opener receptacles on line side of GFCI.
I'm not able to measure any faults on the load side of the GFCI with my T5 (no continuity ground-to-neutral or hot-to-neutral) but GFCI won't reset. I have replaced the device with new ones and have the same issue (I have tried three different brands).
I suspect moisture maybe, but have not been able to trace it down. I'm going to try isolating the issue by process of elimination by working my way around the circuit disconnecting legs of it, but I'm kinda stumped and feel it's making me look bad to my customer.

Any help is appreciated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are on the right track. Separate whatever you can and slowly put things back once the fault is cleared. There is no magic to it...Process of elimination

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One relatively expensive, but effective option would be to install a GFCI receptacle at every outlet, all line-wired.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
The door opener receptacles at this point now should be on the load side of GFCI. By the way, the live wires are going to the line terminals right?

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I chased the trouble down to a UF cable that had been installed poorly by the homeowner and had been compromised. Still, it must have been amperage leaking through the insulation but not creating a measurable short from the neutral to ground (not measureable with a Fluke T5 at least).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Remember that a gfci is measure in milliamps. It will trip at a 6 ma leak.... hard to measure that with a standard meter

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Remember that a gfci is measure in milliamps. It will trip at a 6 ma leak.... hard to measure that with a standard meter
Exactly! I had returned with my more robust Fluke meter, but had discovered the problem by process of elimination before clamping on the meter (I should have done it anyway to see what the reading was).

Status
Not open for further replies.