GFCI NEC code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freak_ct

I foreman I was working for said that a bathroom GFCI had to have its own dedicated circuit. I've looked all through the 2002 NEC and can't find it stated anywhere. Is he right?

iwire

Staff member
Re: GFCI NEC code?

210.11(C)(3) calls for 20 amp but the exception allows other equipment in the same bathroom to be connected to that circuit.

iwire

Staff member

Hurk27, do you mean more then one bathroom or more then one outlet?

210.11(C)(3) shows bathroom in the singular and outlets in plural.

[ March 02, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

electricmanscott

Bob not to answer a question directed at someone else but, the way I understand it you could supply all bathroom gfi's in the house from one 20 amp circuit. If you read the whole article and the exception it seems to imply this.

hurk27

To me the "s" on the end of outlet to allow all the bathroom outlet(s) to be put on the 20 amp circuit. then the exception says "Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom"? Ok this tells me the the intent of the 210.11 (C) (3) was to allow the circuit to be able to feed the receptacles in other bathrooms.
What I dont understand is the wording of the exception soundslike it's talking about cord connected equipment because of the requirment to install it according to 210.23 (A)

210.11 (C) Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)

210.23(A)
Exception: The small appliance branch circuits, laundry branch circuits, and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling unit(s) by 210.11(C)(1), (2), and (3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets specified in that section.
But I'm still learning too

[ March 02, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Hurk

If you have one bath it can feed the lights and exhaust fan.

If more than one bath then only the receptacles can be on that circuit.

Mike P.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Bob not to answer a question directed at someone else but, the way I understand it you could supply all bathroom gfi's in the house from one 20 amp circuit. If you read the whole article and the exception it seems to imply this.
Thanks, I see that in the exception too, I just wonder why they don't put an "s" on the word bathroom in 210.11(C)(3)

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

It would be clearer if they added the words in italics.

(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the bathroom basin receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52 (D). Were Such circuits supply receptacles in multiple bathrooms they shall have no other outlets.
Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A).

What do you think galls & guys.
--
Tom

[ March 03, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: hornetd ]

charlie

hornetd, it sounds to me like you have a proposal all ready to go for the 2008 edition of the NEC. If it is not proposed, it will never go into the Code. :D

bphgravity

If you only have one bathroom, the code exception allows other outlets to be served by the circuit in accordance to 210.23(A). However, the exception to 210.23(A) says that the circuit that supplies 210.11(C)(3) can only serve outher RECEPTACLE outlets. Therefore, the lights and exhaust fan cannot be fed from the 20-amp branch circuit, only another receptacle outlet if added.

bill addiss

Were Such circuits supply receptacles in multiple bathrooms they shall have no other outlets.
Sounds good Tom, that would clarify things better. I'd vote for it!

:)
Bill

[ March 04, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

russ

Nice job Tom!
That would make it much easier to understand.

Russ

[ March 04, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

Status
Not open for further replies.