GFCI on washing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is code for washing machine outlets near a mop sink. The outlet is 48" aff and center of a washer. to the left of the washer is a mop sink. I installed a gfci because an home inspector pointed it out and pended the sale. But is it really a problem. I didnt have my code book to argue so i jus threw $12 and got a GFCI. Also he pointed out a receptacle at 18" aff 6 feet away from a wet bar, sayin it needed to be gfci i contested and he passed it. It was not on the counter it was in general walking area going to the wet bar.

480sparky

what is code for washing machine outlets near a mop sink. The outlet is 48" aff and center of a washer. To the left of the washer is a mop sink. I installed a gfci because an home inspector pointed it out and pended the sale. But is it really a problem. I didnt have my code book to argue so i jus threw $12 and got a gfci. Also he pointed out a receptacle at 18" aff 6 feet away from a wet bar, sayin it needed to be gfci i contested and he passed it. It was not on the counter it was in general walking area going to the wet bar.

210.8(a)(7).

does that mean 6 ft linearly or on the same plane...how do u interpret. I am at 6' 3 inches on a diagonal from the sink counter...because it is on a different plane that measurement is 5'7" from the base of the cabinet on the same plane.

Jim W in Tampa

Your fault for putting up with him. First we need know what year it was installed and what code year was involved. Tell that ID 10 T to come up with all that then call you. Your an electrician not him.

True... I installed one at the washer, because of common sense i can touch it and the plastic sink...but the wet bar was out of the question...its a development home, circa 1998'99 and the people are gettin a divorce and just want out so i helped them however i can...for the price of a service call of course.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
does that mean 6 ft linearly or on the same plane...how do u interpret. I am at 6' 3 inches on a diagonal from the sink counter...because it is on a different plane that measurement is 5'7" from the base of the cabinet on the same plane.

It a good question. Almost always considered linear I believe.

If the recep is 6ft 6in straight above the sink does it qualify?

Your fault for putting up with him. First we need know what year it was installed and what code year was involved. Tell that ID 10 T to come up with all that then call you. Your an electrician not him.

I don't car for HI either but he's right about a receptacle within 6ft of laundry sink right? Why all the idiot talk?

radiopet

What is code for washing machine outlets near a mop sink. The outlet is 48" aff and center of a washer. to the left of the washer is a mop sink. I installed a gfci because an home inspector pointed it out and pended the sale. But is it really a problem. I didnt have my code book to argue so i jus threw $12 and got a GFCI. Also he pointed out a receptacle at 18" aff 6 feet away from a wet bar, sayin it needed to be gfci i contested and he passed it. It was not on the counter it was in general walking area going to the wet bar.

2002 NEC - Added to NEC
(7) Wet bar sinks ? where the receptacles are installed to
serve the countertop surfaces and are located within 1.8
m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the wet bar sink.

2005 NEC - Code Change
(7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks ? where the receptacles
are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside
edge of the sink

2008 NEC - No Change from 2005 NEC
(7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks ? where the receptacles
are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside
edge of the sink

So it depends on the year in question. HI's are concerned more about safety than actual code so I would not blame the HI for making a call. In fact, he/she may be more up on he codes that some electricians. While the code is not retroactive the client has to choose if they buy into the added safety or dismiss the HI's recommendations but I don't believe he would call something that was allowed before 2002 in regards to the wet bar issue as a code violation. He probably made it as a safety recommendation.

M. D.

the measurement is from the sink ,..not the base and or cabinet it sits in ...or the plumbing ,.. you measure to the : sink a stationary basin connected with a drain and usually a water supply for washing and drainage.

Take a 6' piece of string from the edge of the closet edge of the sink to the receptacle ,. if the sting on any line makes to the receptacle then it needs GFCI

M. D.

Thought I would add the definition of basin,.. basin; an open usually circular vessel with sloping or curving sides used typically for holding water for washing

guschash

I agree with radiopet. Its about safety, in this situation who cares what code cycle. The home inspector says you need a GFCI, that will be whatever you charge them to replace it. He is making money for you. You didn't tell them they needed it, he did.

M. D.

I agree with radiopet. Its about safety, in this situation who cares what code cycle. The home inspector says you need a GFCI, that will be whatever you charge them to replace it. He is making money for you. You didn't tell them they needed it, he did.

Yeah,.. but who looks like the professional??

iwire

Staff member
Yeah,.. but who looks like the professional??

IMO both.

Home inspection are not all about code compliance they are about general safety and condition. They are also a negotiating tool of the buyer.

All the HI has done was point out that a GFCI would be a safer installation, no one has to follow the HIs suggestions. (At least in most areas)

M. D.

IMO both.

Home inspection are not all about code compliance they are about general safety and condition. They are also a negotiating tool of the buyer.

All the HI has done was point out that a GFCI would be a safer installation, no one has to follow the HIs suggestions. (At least in most areas)

I guess ,.. but this comment sounds a little more than saying GFCI protection offers a measure of safety,..

I installed a gfci because an home inspector pointed it out and pended the sale.

iwire

Staff member
I guess ,.. but this comment sounds a little more than saying GFCI protection offers a measure of safety,..

We are 'hearing' what the inspector said at least second hand, likely third hand and maybe more then that.:smile:

IMO if the inspector says 'The code requires this to be changed to a GFCI' that would be unprofessional.

However if the inspector says 'Current code calls for a GFCI in that location and I recommend placing one there as a safety improvement' I think that is very professional.

In most areas an HI can not hold up the sale at all. The HI turns in a report and then the buyer and seller decide how to proceed.

spdtrx

In most areas an HI can not hold up the sale at all. The HI turns in a report and then the buyer and seller decide how to proceed.

iwire is correct in his last coment about the HI's.
I had a home inspection businesss for years and thats how it worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.