GFCI plug on air condition unit-1200BTU

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.bisnath

I am having a problem with what I believe is a GFCI molded plug on an air condition unit, the GFCI unit "ok" indicator lamp unit is on and when the unit is started the fans come on but not the compressor .On pulling out the plug and putting it back in to the wall receptacle or doing a test and reset on the GFCI the unit comes on and runs properly without problems . Can anyone assist me ,I am not sure how to approach this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen a unit like this. Are you saying there is a cord and plug that must be plugged into a wall out which is separate from the branch circuit

I probably won't be much help but it sounds like the unit needs the neutral and the gfci must not be functioning correctly.

USMC1302

Seems like there are some factory equipped GFCI protected pieces of equipment that require a manual reset on the GFCI each time they are plugged in or lose power? I believe I had a Hotsy powerwasher that was like that.

JFletcher

I am having a problem with what I believe is a GFCI molded plug on an air condition unit, the GFCI unit "ok" indicator lamp unit is on and when the unit is started the fans come on but not the compressor .On pulling out the plug and putting it back in to the wall receptacle or doing a test and reset on the GFCI the unit comes on and runs properly without problems . Can anyone assist me ,I am not sure how to approach this.

Make and model of unit? 1200BTU would be very tiny; you sure you dont mean 12,000BTU?

I know the last batch of Frigidaire PTACs I saw had those GFCI molded plugs. They do not require a neutral as they plug into a 6-20R.

You do a test then reset, it works fine... not sure I understand the problem.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

It seems like the only way this could be is if the compressor is running off the GFCI and the fans are not. That seems unlikely.

Given the rating of the unit it appears likely this is some kind of enclosure A/C and not a room A/C. Might be simplest to just contact the manufacturer.

jumper

If anyone cares, the plug on the unit is more likely a LCDI or possibly an AFCI rather than a GFCI.

440.65 Leakage-Current Detector-Interrupter (LCDI)
and Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI).
Single-phase cord- and plug-connected room air conditioners shall be
provided with factory-installed LCDI or AFCI protection.
The LCDI or AFCI protection shall be an integral part of
the attachment plug or be located in the power supply cord
within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug

a.bisnath

not much info online

not much info online

The air condition unit is an outdoor or portable type, it is a 110volt, 12,000BTU(sorry about the typo error).It is a Royal Crown unit with a big exhaust hose at the back. The plug is a normal 3 pin flat molded plug with some sort of built in device that has a test and reset button with pilot lamp indicator. The odd thing is when the unit is started only the fan comes on. With a test and reset or pulling out the plug and putting it back in the unit will start and run properly. As it is a molded plug I did not want to cut the plug off. I am thinking that whatever is happening takes place when the unit is switched off, not much info available online. Is there a site online where I can order a LCDI or AFCI device and swap it out? The current is normal.

JFletcher

The air condition unit is an outdoor or portable type, it is a 110volt, 12,000BTU(sorry about the typo error).It is a Royal Crown unit with a big exhaust hose at the back. The plug is a normal 3 pin flat molded plug with some sort of built in device that has a test and reset button with pilot lamp indicator. The odd thing is when the unit is started only the fan comes on. With a test and reset or pulling out the plug and putting it back in the unit will start and run properly. As it is a molded plug I did not want to cut the plug off. I am thinking that whatever is happening takes place when the unit is switched off, not much info available online. Is there a site online where I can order a LCDI or AFCI device and swap it out? The current is normal.

Still not sure the problem... are you saying that every time the unit starts, only the fans come on, and that either unplugging it or hitting the test and reset buttons makes it work? If the unit is tripping its molded plug every time it shuts off, there is probably a problem with the unit.

I did see one of those Frigidaire PTACs with a similar LDCI/AFCI/w/e plug problem, it would not reset after less than a month in service. This is within the warranty period.

I couldnt find a "Royal Crown" 12000BTU portable AC; closest was this. The reviews are not good:

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Sovereign-Portable-Conditioner-ARP-2412/dp/B0036VP6HM

delaware74b

All newer model ac units with electronic controls (for temperature vs mechanical thermostat) have a 3-minute delay. The delay begins when the unit is turned on (fans-only). After the 3-minute delay, the compressor is allowed to run. The main reason is if you have a short power interruption, you're not trying to restart the compressor under high head pressure. It gives the unit time for the pressures to equalize across the compressor.

kwired

Electron manager
All newer model ac units with electronic controls (for temperature vs mechanical thermostat) have a 3-minute delay. The delay begins when the unit is turned on (fans-only). After the 3-minute delay, the compressor is allowed to run. The main reason is if you have a short power interruption, you're not trying to restart the compressor under high head pressure. It gives the unit time for the pressures to equalize across the compressor.
That was going to be my suggestion to look into a time delay on the compressor.

The LC detector should open/close all lines and the fans shouldn't work if it were malfunctioning.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

that makes sense.

JFletcher

Not just newer ones, some older PTACs had this, particularly Carrier. ofc we at the hotel in maintenance didnt know this, so many got pitched because they 'didnt work'. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.