GFCI Protection Behind Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

VFx Cody

Occupation
Project Manager
I'm having a difficult time with an inspector about the definition of "readily accessible". We are working on a grocery store with lots of appliances on prep tables and GFCI receptacles behind them. All of these appliances can be reached around to reset and test the GFCI, but the inspector insists that since equipment is placed in front of these receps the are not "readily accessible. Any of these areas that require moving of the table or appliance I have changed to regular receps on a GFCI CB, but to change them all would be a several thousand dollar change order my customer would not be pleased about. These are installations are as per approved drawings. I believe I'm adhering to the NEC 100 definition of readily accessible. I appreciate any feedback.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's the Article 100 definition of readily accessible. It does say "to remove obstacles" but I would hardly think that a toaster would be an obstacle but it's up to the inspector to decide.

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without
requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to take actions such as to use tools (other than keys), to climb over or
under, to remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth. (CMP-1)

Informational Note: Use of keys is a common practice under controlled or supervised conditions and a common alternative
to the ready access requirements under such supervised conditions as provided elsewhere in the NEC.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Remove all of the appliances, get your inspection performed. What the owner does after you are gone is not part of your permit, otherwise most kitchen and bathroom counter tops would be in violation of the NEC.

Just don't put them on the floor or they may be viewed as trip hazards.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
IMO they all should have been on a GFCI breaker. Not only because of access but longevity. You know how those areas get wiped down and accumulate grease and other debris. A regular receptacle would last much longer and be easier and cheaper to replace. Plus, nobody is going to reach around and test them. Not that anybody is going to open the panel and test the breakers either, but it's a much better possibility.

Remove all of the appliances, get your inspection performed.

I'm betting that the "bell has already been rung" on that one and the inspector knows what's there.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.