GFCI protection in room outside of bath vanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

I am fairly certain that this subject was discussed before, BUT.
I am working on a single family residential plan that the "architect" is calling for receptacles in the bedroom (that are within 6 feet of the bath vanity) to have GFCI protection, even those that are positioned behind the door that swing outward into the bedroom. Yes, they do indicate a receptacle at the vanity. Yes, you could plug something into the bedroom receptacle (with the door open) and have the item sitting on the vanity.
Could someone direct me to this previous discussion? Also what does the NEC say about this?
This house will be built in the county, where no inspection is required, so therefore there is no "AHJ" to ask their opinion about this. The "State" does have the right to send out inspection upon "special" request.
Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe the NEC addresses the issue of a door or not but imo, if there is a door then it would not need gfci protection. I am sure many inspectors may disagree with me so to be safe you may want to check with the authority having jurisdiction

I moved the thread to the NEC forum

JDB3

I don't believe the NEC addresses the issue of a door or not but imo, if there is a door then it would not need gfci protection. I am sure many inspectors may disagree with me so to be safe you may want to check with the authority having jurisdiction

I moved the thread to the NEC forum

That is one problem with doing work where there is no inspection, there is no authority having jurisdiction. I really do not know who/how to contact the state concerning this issue since there are no regular inspectors that I know of. Mainly the state just checks on complaints regarding license, signage on vehicles, etc.

growler

I am working on a single family residential plan that the "architect" is calling for receptacles in the bedroom (that are within 6 feet of the bath vanity) to have GFCI protection, even those that are positioned behind the door that swing outward into the bedroom.

The NEC is not a design manual but a set of minimum safety standards. An Architect or engineer can design a system that is above minimum NEC standards.

If they are willing to pay for them I would install GFCI protected receptacles.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Probably not very likely that someone would use the bedroom receptacles in the bath especially with a door there however cover your butt and install a gfi.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
That is one problem with doing work where there is no inspection, there is no authority having jurisdiction. I really do not know who/how to contact the state concerning this issue since there are no regular inspectors that I know of. Mainly the state just checks on complaints regarding license, signage on vehicles, etc.

This phrase is used a lot and I don't see why.

If it's on the drawings and there's no ground breaking evidence that it's going to save a ton of money if it's not installed, why not install the GFI and be done with it?

How many outlets are we talking about ? Several ?

I'm still trying to picture the outlet being behind the door and still within 6' of the sink.
Must be a very narrow door or a vanity really close to the doorway.

If it were me,I'd be more inclined to move the receptacle in the bedroom out from behind the door and kill 2 birds with one stone.

JAP>

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
New text was added to the 2017 code to clear this issue up. The 2014 is not completely clear.
(2017)210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. ...
For the purposes of this section, when determining distance from receptacles the distance shall be measured as the shortest path the cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, or fixed barrier, or passing through a door, doorway, or window.

JDB3

(2017)210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. ...
For the purposes of this section, when determining distance from receptacles the distance shall be measured as the shortest path the cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, or fixed barrier, or passing through a door, doorway, or window.

That change does clarify my situation. However the under the electrical notes, the architect states; "plans are compliant w/2014 NEC."
As far as if the plans indicate GFCI's in these bedrooms, put them in. Small things like this could influence the bid enough for me and/or the builder not getting the job.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
You may not have an electrical inspector coming out, but you do have an AHJ. The owner, the architect, an engineer, or belatedly the HOs insurance company. Take your pick.

The things are less then $15 and you can charge for them. You may suggest that it is not needed but I sure wouldn't fight it at all.

chris1971

I am fairly certain that this subject was discussed before, BUT.
I am working on a single family residential plan that the "architect" is calling for receptacles in the bedroom (that are within 6 feet of the bath vanity) to have GFCI protection, even those that are positioned behind the door that swing outward into the bedroom. Yes, they do indicate a receptacle at the vanity. Yes, you could plug something into the bedroom receptacle (with the door open) and have the item sitting on the vanity.
Could someone direct me to this previous discussion? Also what does the NEC say about this?
This house will be built in the county, where no inspection is required, so therefore there is no "AHJ" to ask their opinion about this. The "State" does have the right to send out inspection upon "special" request.
Thanks.

I would install the GFCI receptacles. The customer is paying the architect is being paid by the customer for the design and the customer will pay for the additional GFCI receptacles. Even if the home isn't being inspected, I would wire it to the current electrical code your state has adopted.

Status
Not open for further replies.