GFCI protection of unfinished area's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

I was gig for not having GFCI protection of a area that is on the inbetween level of a trilevel house. and was refered to 210.8 (A) (5)?

Now this level is above grade and is studded out for future bedroom and bath. and was wired for electric. but I cant see it as being a basement. as it is above the grade level. but this part is on a slab would that make a diffrance? the other thing that he got me for was not having a 3-way for the basement stairs. the basement has only one entrance and the nec does allow one switch outlet from one location as per:

210.70 (3) Storage or Equipment Spaces. For attics, underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements , at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces . The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment requiring servicing.

stamcon

Re: GFCI protection of unfinished area's?

Hurk, 210(70)(3) deals with the storage room. 210(70)(2) Additional Locations-..."Where lighting outlets are installed in interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level to control the lighting outlet where the difference between floor levels is six steps or more".

As to the 210(8) issue - I guess it would depend on the definition of a "basement". It's unfinished, not intended as a habitable room and used for storage....

hurk27

Ok storage room is on of the things 210.70(3) deals with it also deals with equipment rooms and it even says basement (what basement would not have stairs?). I would understand if this basement was finished, but it is not and since you have to leave it the same way you come into it I cant see how he can require it to be 3-wayed? as if you had a 3-way at the bottom of the stairs what perpose would it be to turn the lights off as it would put you in the dark?

If I remember right the NEC afew years back had a rule that if there was only one point of entrance to a basment only one switch was required as you would have to leave the same way you went in.

[ March 07, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

electricmanscott

27 I agree with you on the three way issue. I think the inspector is putting two separate code rules together. I think it's pretty clear 210.70 (3) applies to this here. It says basements and does not specify stairway or not. With his argument you will need a threeway at the top of attic stairs also. Common sense should rule on this. As far as the gfi goes I am not yet sold either way.

bill addiss

Hurk,

210.70 (3) deals with the lighting outlet in the Basement itself, not the stairway.

210.70(2)(c) says there must be a wall switch at each floor level (to light the stairs).

Justification might be so that the stairway light could be turned back on without going up a dark stairs. I know I've been left in the dark a few times. :)

Bill

russ

210.70(2)(c)Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each level that includes an entry way,to control the lighting outlet(s)where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.
I've always required three ways between habital levels of a home, but not always unfinished basements.

Russ

bill addiss

russ,

a wall switch at each level that includes an entry way,..
You're a little out of context on your quote.
210.70(A)(2)(c) says:
..there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway,...
This means (to me) that a landing without an entryway is excused from having a switch, not a floor level.

Bill

david

Hurk,

Your future bedroom / bathroom, (presently unknown, storage room or work room), built on a slab in my mind is a gray area. The inspector had to make a judgment on how to classify this area. You said in part this area is a future bathroom. And in part a future bedroom both presently built on a slab and unfinished. The future bathroom part we already know will need GFCI protection. As far as the future bedroom if any thing the inspector eared in the way of caution. I personally require GFCI protection available for any area under construction were a direct ground fault potential exist.

Our company lost in a major lawsuit were a young man was hurt from using a rec. that was not GFCI protected in an area under construction that other wise would not have required GFCI protection. The inspector had a lot to consider.

As far as the stairs leading to the basement in my mind would require switching at both the bottom and top of the stairs. The NEC does not make the distinction of what stairs require it verses what stairs do not. If there are six or more provide 3-way switching. The trend seems to be to remodel these area?s to provide for additional bedrooms. Also a lawyer could argue though when the young lady went to the basement in the evening their was plenty of natural light to safely go down the stairs as darkness settle in she should not have been made to go back up the stairs with out sufficient light.

Status
Not open for further replies.