GFCI Protection temp power

Status
Not open for further replies.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Is GFCI protection is required for a 208 volt / 50 amp temporary pig-tail load in a commercial setting? 590.6 really only indicates all 125 volt 15,20, or 30 A receptacles would require GFCI protection. 210.8 (B) does address this but my understanding this article is intended for permanent wiring not temporary. Any thoughts would be appreciated. My understanding in this situation is I do not need GFCI protection.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
I'm reading 590.6 (B) (1) so if all temp receptacles need GFCI protection then where does it need to be installed? If my pig-tail cord is 150' long and feeds a GFCI receptacle the only GFCI protection would be downstream from the receptacle, the 150' cord is not GFCI protected.

kwired

Electron manager
Is GFCI protection is required for a 208 volt / 50 amp temporary pig-tail load in a commercial setting? 590.6 really only indicates all 125 volt 15,20, or 30 A receptacles would require GFCI protection. 210.8 (B) does address this but my understanding this article is intended for permanent wiring not temporary. Any thoughts would be appreciated. My understanding in this situation is I do not need GFCI protection.
Chapters 1-4 are the general rules that apply to everything unless something in 5-7 gives specific reasons otherwise.

I'm reading 590.6 (B) (1) so if all temp receptacles need GFCI protection then where does it need to be installed? If my pig-tail cord is 150' long and feeds a GFCI receptacle the only GFCI protection would be downstream from the receptacle, the 150' cord is not GFCI protected.
Flexible cord can be used for temporary wiring in places where it otherwise can't be used for permanent wiring. If you directly wire the supply end of the cord no GFCI protection is required, if the load end of the cord is a receptacle outlet, GFCI will be required by both 210.8 and art 590.

Correction: GFCI will be required by 590 and depending on location also may be required by 210.8.

I also don't think NEC necessarily caught up 590 with changes in 210.8 and you may be able to claim there are some loopholes here. 590.6 only mentions 15,20 and 30 A receptacles but 2017 and 2020 NEC both required other receptacle in certain locations to be GFCI protected and IMO 210.8 still trumps 590 in those situations. Where the 15,20 and 30 amp receptacles mentioned would be in addition to 210.8 would be if the temp receptacle were in a location otherwise not required by 210.8 to have protection.

Remodeling a living room that otherwise has no 210.8 GFCI requirement -- 590.6 kicks in there. We all know you install a GFCI on that particular job even though a majority of the use is already over with before you are even called to the project, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.