GFCI receptacle. for AHU

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinesgt0411

Quick question: the GFCI receptacle that is required for the air handler unit, does it need to be located in the same room as the AHU or can it be in a room next to the room with the AHU total of 18 feet from AHU,

jwelectric

Re: GFCI receptacle. for AHU

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings

Edited to add;
The cord that would be needed for the service man could not be ran through the door

[ August 12, 2005, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

peter d

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors

Edited to add;
The cord that would be needed for the service man could not be ran through the door
Wow, that is twisting the code into an excruciating justification. A serviceman's cord can't be run through a doorway for a few minutes? Give me a break. :roll:

peter d

If this was an unfinished basement divided up into separate finished and unfnished rooms, then GFCI receptacles are required in each unfinished room per 210.? (Sorry, I don't have my book with me.)

jwelectric

Originally posted by peter d:
Originally posted by jwelectric:

Edited to add;
Wow, that is twisting the code into an excruciating justification. A serviceman's cord can't be run through a doorway for a few minutes? Give me a break. :)

jimwalker

Guess you would not pass many of our installs.When we have an ahu above the suspended ceiling grid we do not install an outlet just a light and switch.They can plug into the receptacle in the hall.

peter d

I don't see how that code section applies to the temporary use of extension cords. And even if it does, in the real world, cords are run through doorways and windows all the time short term use. Optimal? No.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

JW,
Portable cords are not "installed" and therefore ouside of the scope of the NEC. The code rules do not apply outside of the scope.
90.2 Scope.
(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation of electric conductors, electric equipment, signaling and communications conductors and equipment, and fiber optic cables and raceways for the following:
Don

marinesgt0411

I guess I was a little unclear

210.63 the receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 25 feet

for some reason I thought it had to be GFCI

so if it is not in the same room but within 25 feet it still meets the requirement correct??

physis

The thing is JW that article 210.63 is not required to meet article 400 requirements.

210.63 is not within the scope of 400.1

And 210.63 make no mention of how the receptacle shall be used. Only that it is for servicing the HVAC equipment.

Jhr

I am trying very hard NOT to have to add another receptacle
Man just add the receptacle and get the check, whats the problem, $80.00 dollars added to the final bill as an extra, I'm sure the GC or owner will give thier approval, but don't hold up the job :eek: .

marinesgt0411

Little statement on the print that says that they are not responsible for omitions or errors and that is it up to the electrical contractor to make the installation code comply able makes it my cost to add the receptacle

and I am ready to call for final

it is the only problem that I can foresee

physis

It sounds to me like there is already a receptacle metting the requirements of 210.63.

Maybe Jhr wouldn't mind installing an additional one. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.