GFCI receptacle for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

Does a receptacle feeding a refrigerator within 6 feet of a sink need to be GFCI if the receptacle is located behind the refrigerator and not acessible for other uses. Concerned about nuisance tripping, please provide Code article or exception....thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In a commercial kitchen all the 120V rec. 15 & 20 amp need gfci protection but 210.8(A)(6) only requires GFCI in kitchen for countertop recep. in a dwelling. 210.8(A)(7) exempts kitchens from the 6' rule. The 2011 clarifies this point.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Where is this refrigerator located?

If the refrigerator is located in a kitchen in a dwelling unit then no, if the refrigerator receptacle is located anywhere else in a dwelling unit within 6' of a sink then yes. (See 210.8(A)(6))

If the refrigerator is located in a commercial kitchen then regardless of how far it is away from the sink it requires GFCI protection (See 210.8(B)(2))

Also if the refrigerator receptacle is located within 6' of a commercial sink then it must be GFCI protected (See 210.8(B)(5))

Chris

kwired

Electron manager
Is it a household refrigerator with cord and plug connection or a commercial refrigerator that can have cord and plug or be hard wired? If hard wired it will not require GFCI, but it will have to be a unit designed for being hard wired.

iwire

Staff member
Is it a household refrigerator with cord and plug connection or a commercial refrigerator that can have cord and plug or be hard wired? If hard wired it will not require GFCI, but it will have to be a unit designed for being hard wired.

Agreed but hard wiring would require a disconnecting means.

kwired

Electron manager
Agreed but hard wiring would require a disconnecting means.

Which could possibly be a simple toggle switch. The unit may even have one already installed on it. Owners will prefer this vs a GFCI that tripped for undetermined reasons and had to throw out a refrigerator full of food that got too warm.

iwire

Staff member
Which could possibly be a simple toggle switch.

Of course.

The unit may even have one already installed on it.

It might, but I find less and less equipment coming with switches that qualify as 'unit switches' as required.

Owners will prefer this vs a GFCI that tripped for undetermined reasons and had to throw out a refrigerator full of food that got too warm.

I think that is an assumption, they also might be upset that they need to hire an electrician when the want to move the unit for cleaning or replacement.

It would be worth discussing with the customer.

My own feeling is install the GFCI, it is there for a reason, they can put a temperature alarm on the refrigerator.

Wasnt there an ex that said a bulls eye recept could be used in place of a gfi for equipment. Cant I put a single eye in a dwelling garage for a washing machine that isnt gfi protected.

kwired

Electron manager
Of course.

It might, but I find less and less equipment coming with switches that qualify as 'unit switches' as required.

I think that is an assumption, they also might be upset that they need to hire an electrician when the want to move the unit for cleaning or replacement.

It would be worth discussing with the customer.

My own feeling is install the GFCI, it is there for a reason, they can put a temperature alarm on the refrigerator.

It is an assumption. It is accurate the majority of the time though.

Non electricians see GFCI as something that inconveniently interrupts power at times.

I have many times noticed people will not plug something into a GFCI receptacle if there is a non GFCI receptacle nearby. Even seen three and 4 way adapters plugged in to non GFCI when the GFCI has open places to plug into.(Little do they know the one nearby is still protected by the GFCI)

Status
Not open for further replies.