GFCI receptacle on top of residential Elevator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkelectrical

Residential bayfront home. House sits on pilings-grade level. 2 floors of living space.

Hydraulic elevator with machine room located on 1st floor. There is no pit.

I had final inspection and failed for "GFCI receptacle missing on top of the elevator".

1. I have provided all the circuits to the elevator machine room. I installed a light and smoke detector in the elevator shaft on the ceiling.
2. Elevator contractor installed disconnects and all the wiring for the elevator using the circuits I provided.

Is there a code that requires a GFCI receptacle on top of the elevator in NEC? I could not find it in the code book.
ASME A17.1 - 2.14.7.1.4 Requires lighting and receptacle on top of the elevator. The exception says that light is not required on top of the elevator in residential elevators. That means GFCI receptacle is still required.

Can the inspector hold me to those requirements if the NEC does not require it? and elevator wiring was done by another contractor (elevator contractor)?

Not sure how to even go about installing GFCI receptacle on top of elevator.

pkelectrical

Elevator is on my permit.

Before I started the job I was told by GC to only provide the circuits for the elevator equipment and the elevator contractor will do the rest.

I am not sure why if the NEC doesn't require it, the Electrical inspector would fail me for something that should be done by mechanical contractor and inspected by mechanical inspector. Are we as ECs responsible to know ASME codes/requirements and follow them?

Last edited:

Ingenieur

The traveling cable should be included in the elev pkg just like the lighting, hvac, etc
you provide a ckt in the machine room
depends on contract language
you may be able to scab off the car lighting
I'll look in the code tomorrow
either way it is required...who provides and pays is a seperate issue

I would have thought 2 inspectors
elec
elev, most (all?) states require a certified elev inspector

pass the elec and fail/lock-out the elev

Last edited:

JFletcher

Elevator is on my permit.

Before I started the job I was told by GC to only provide the circuits for the elevator equipment and the elevator contractor will do the rest.

I am not sure why if the NEC doesn't require it, the Electrical inspector would fail me for something that should be done by mechanical contractor and inspected by mechanical inspector. Are we as ECs responsible to know ASME codes/requirements and follow them?

Where you can drill joists, how to firestop penetrations, and smoke detector placement arent in the NEC either, but in building and life and safety codes.

I'd much rather have the elevator guy install that receptacle than have any liability whatsoever with an elevator install. Sounds like a miscommunication between you and the GC.

Ingenieur

A17.1 2013
Section 2.14 'car enclosures, car doors and gates, and car illumination' is the main section
sub-section 2.14.7.1.4 does not have a car top lighting exception for residential elevators (residential aren't mentioned)

private residence elevators have their own Section 5.3
5.3.1.8 'car enclosures, car doors, and gates, and car illumination' is the corresponding sub-section
sub-section 5.3.1.8.3 'light in car' is the only lighting reference
no reference to car top recpt/ltg (only in car)

I can find no reference in the 2013 edition for residential elev car top ltg/recept????

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Residential bayfront home. House sits on pilings-grade level. 2 floors of living space. Hydraulic elevator with machine room located on 1st floor. There is no pit.I had final inspection and failed for "GFCI receptacle missing on top of the elevator". 1. I have provided all the circuits to the elevator machine room. I installed a light and smoke detector in the elevator shaft on the ceiling. 2. Elevator contractor installed disconnects and all the wiring for the elevator using the circuits I provided. Is there a code that requires a GFCI receptacle on top of the elevator in NEC? I could not find it in the code book. ASME A17.1 - 2.14.7.1.4 Requires lighting and receptacle on top of the elevator. The exception says that light is not required on top of the elevator in residential elevators. That means GFCI receptacle is still required. Can the inspector hold me to those requirements if the NEC does not require it? and elevator wiring was done by another contractor (elevator contractor)? Not sure how to even go about installing GFCI receptacle on top of elevator.
Is the location in question outdoors? NEC would require GFCI if outdoors.

pkelectrical

A17.1 2013
Section 2.14 'car enclosures, car doors and gates, and car illumination' is the main section
sub-section 2.14.7.1.4 does not have a car top lighting exception for residential elevators (residential aren't mentioned)

private residence elevators have their own Section 5.3
5.3.1.8 'car enclosures, car doors, and gates, and car illumination' is the corresponding sub-section
sub-section 5.3.1.8.3 'light in car' is the only lighting reference
no reference to car top recpt/ltg (only in car)

I can find no reference in the 2013 edition for residential elev car top ltg/recept????

You are correct. Spoke to the elevator guy and he said it is not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.