GFCI required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A client comment on a PV design is calling for GFCI protection on the breaker (in the building's main service panel) that brings the PV inverter output into the building's power system. I can't find that rule in 690. Is it required? Article number?

BillK-AZ

NEC 2008: 690.64(B)(3) or NEC 2011: 705.12(D)(3) states "The interconnection point shall be on the line side of all ground ?fault protection equipment."

"Exception: Connection shall be permitted to be made to the load side of ground ?fault protection, provided that there is ground ?fault protection for equipment from all ground ?fault current sources. Ground ?fault protection used with supplies connected to the load-side terminals are identified and listed as suitable for back feeding?.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
My understanding is that "ground fault protection" is part of the inverter system. The comment I received is about "ground fault circuit interruption" protection built into a circuit breaker. I don't believe the comment is correct.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My understanding is that "ground fault protection" is part of the inverter system. The comment I received is about "ground fault circuit interruption" protection built into a circuit breaker. I don't believe the comment is correct.

The only reference I know are all for gf protection not GFCI

Zee

Either the client's comment is correct or every single system I've ever built is incorrect.

Perhaps what happened... the words "line" and "load" are very often mis-read in the Code, as i assume the client did in your NEC reference :"The interconnection point shall be on the LINE side of all ground ?fault protection equipment."

(Oh and Nice Zappa pic, Dennis.)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

You are correct, a GFCI breaker is not required, in fact it's prohibited unless certain conditions are met, as Bill's references describe.

Either the client's comment is correct or every single system I've ever built is incorrect.

I hope you made a typo in that sentence.

Zee

Oh woops! Yes, i mis-spoke ("mis-posted"???) . I am sure about one thing: i don't have to go back and use a GFCI brkr for every system....:happyno:

As you stated, GFCI brkr.s are actually huge problems for PV - on occasion. E.g. when one feeds a subp. that we want to tie into.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks everyone. I replied to this client comment by saying no changes were needed, as neither 210.8 nor 690 require GFCI in this application. The review meeting is later today, and I wonder how the client will react to my reply. At least I was polite and professional in my wording and my tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.