GFCI requirement for a steam shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

akde

Occupation
engineer
Have a steam generator/shower combo installed in a master bathroom. The junction box of the Unit is a 3 conductor (2 power and 1 ground) connection. There is a pull out disconnect switch located close to the Unit and there is also a 6' grounding rod buried in the ground and attached (via a ground wire) to the lower metal frame/stand of the Unit. Trying to assess whether a GFCI is needed for the Unit or not as there are conflicting opinions out there. MrSteam's (steam generator manufacturer) blog says no GFI is needed. Also doing a search with Google Bard (the new AI search tool) indicates the same thing i.e. no GFCI requirement. On the other hand there are some blogs/forums that indicate a GFCI is needed. Can not find any specific section in the NEC code that deals with steam showers/generators. Does anyone know of the requirement and the basis for it? Even if a GFCI is installed how would you do it with no neutral coming back to the panel from the Unit?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No gfci is needed assuming the unit is directly wired, but if required, a gfci would work without a load-side neutral. Whoever drove a ground rod, and at 6', is not really understanding the purpose of the ground rod. It s totally unnecessary.

akde

Occupation
engineer
Would installing a GFCI at the breaker panel cause unnecessary trips? Any experience with that?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Huh, hadn't heard of Google Bard. I tried it on this question, here's what it said (including superfluous info I didn't ask for, which is probably how I would have responded!)

According to my knowledge, you do not need a GFCI for a steam generator. A GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) is a type of circuit breaker that helps to protect people from electric shock. It does this by detecting small imbalances in the electrical current flowing through a circuit. If a GFCI detects an imbalance, it will quickly shut off the power to the circuit, preventing a shock.

Steam generators do not typically create the kind of conditions that would require a GFCI. They do not have exposed electrical wiring, and they are not typically installed in areas where there is water. As a result, the risk of electric shock from a steam generator is relatively low.

However, there are some cases where a GFCI may be required for a steam generator. For example, if the steam generator is installed in a wet area, such as a bathroom, a GFCI may be required by code. Additionally, some steam generators may come with a GFCI built in. If your steam generator has a GFCI, you should use it.

If you are unsure whether or not you need a GFCI for your steam generator, you should consult with an electrician. They can help you to determine the best safety measures for your specific installation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Would installing a GFCI at the breaker panel cause unnecessary trips? Any experience with that?
That may be the reason the manufacturer states not to install gfci. If the manufacturer says no gfci and the NEC doesn't require a gfci circuit then I would not install one.

akde

Occupation
engineer
This is a unit made in China. The "manual" leaves a lot to be desired as you can imagine. It does not address the GFCI at all, just says all wiring is to folllow local code requirements or something to that effect.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I guess I was reacting to this...MrSteam's (steam generator manufacturer) blog says no GFI is needed.
Unit is UL listed, installation instructions for it do not require GFCI, you are good to go, but still subject to OTHER conditions..

To whit; if Mr. Steam is not in the bathroom, how is it any different than an electric water heater? So no GFCI required no matter what. If it IS in the bathroom and plugged into an outlet, then I think it would require one, just like a jetted bathtub. In the bathroom and hard wired? I don't know any more with the latest changes in the Code (and too lazy to research it), so I would probably err on the side of safety.

Also: the name reminds me of this...
348508-20;1491580679y.jpg

akde

Occupation
engineer
I have decided to install a GFCI breaker for the steam shower. Appears there are various "type"s of 2 pole GFCI breakers available. Is there a specific type that I should use? Also there is no neutral coming back from the load.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I have decided to install a GFCI breaker for the steam shower. Appears there are various "type"s of 2 pole GFCI breakers available. Is there a specific type that I should use? Also there is no neutral coming back from the load.
Class a is 5ma +or- 1 ma and it what is used for protection of personnel. The class b and class c are for heat tape and old pools and protection of equipment.

Engineers shouldn't be asking diy here.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Class a is 5ma +or- 1 ma and it what is used for protection of personnel. The class b and class c are for heat tape and old pools and protection of equipment.

Engineers shouldn't be asking diy here.
As far as I know, class B no longer exists and Class C is a Special Purpose GFCI designed for use on circuits that operate at higher voltages than a Class A device. The Class C has a 20 mA trip but at a specified time. There are three classes of Special Purpose GFCIs, those being C, D, and E. They are covered by UL 943C. Class A GFCIs are covered by UL 943.

The equipment protection type of ground fault devices have no secific requirements for trip time or the trip point, but the trip point shall be withing the range of 6 to 100 mA, and are not used for people protection. These are covered by UL 1053.

In both cases, if the devices are breakers, they are also covered by UL 489.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
As far as I know, class B no longer exists and Class C is a Special Purpose GFCI designed for use on circuits that operate at higher voltages than a Class A device. The Class C has a 20 mA trip but at a specified time. There are three classes of Special Purpose GFCIs, those being C, D, and E. They are covered by UL 943C. Class A GFCIs are covered by UL 943.

The equipment protection type of ground fault devices have no secific requirements for trip time or the trip point, but the trip point shall be withing the range of 6 to 100 mA, and are not used for people protection. These are covered by UL 1053.

In both cases, if the devices are breakers, they are also covered by UL 489.
Class c are used for heated drive ways I did one in 2015 that used them

Status
Not open for further replies.