GFCI Spa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a customer who puchased a spa. I estimated the job with a spa feeder panel with a 60 amp GFCI breaker. When I went to wire the spa, it didn't require a neutral. I wanted to make sure the GFCI would operate properly without a neutral. Every other spa has always needed a neutral. I want to make sure this is safe.
Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I had a customer who puchased a spa. I estimated the job with a spa feeder panel with a 60 amp GFCI breaker. When I went to wire the spa, it didn't require a neutral. I wanted to make sure the GFCI would operate properly without a neutral. Every other spa has always needed a neutral. I want to make sure this is safe.
Thanks.

Not a problem. Just make sure the neutral o the gfci breaker is installed to the neutral bar but no neutral is needed on the load if the unit does not require a neutral.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You need the neutral in your feeder circuit to the GFCI panel to properly wire the GFCI, but it (the GFCI) does not need a neutral connected to the load side to work properly. It looks for a leakage with or without a neutral.

(good timing :) good morning, Dennis)

Status
Not open for further replies.