GFCI tripping on photocell operated luminaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

john h

Has anyone seen problems with GFCI's tripping on photocell operated luminaires? One electrician reports the neutral going out to the luminaire showing continuity to ground on more than one of the same fixture. Is this related in anyway to the photocell? Thanks.

hurk27

Re: GFCI tripping on photocell operated luminaire

Are these HID fixtures or incandesent?
you could have a cap leakage in one of the fixtures. also is there any feeds underground a slight leakage between the grounded conductor and the EGC will cause the GFCI to trip when a load is applied. try by passing the photo cell to see if the lights work without it. if they do then it has to be a leakage in the cell if not you will have to dig deeper. If the GFCI is of an older style about 10 years old they don't stand up to spikes very well and a HID fixture will produce these HV spikes when de-energized. These spikes are faster than a 1/2 of a cycle and show up to the GFCI as a unbalance between the hot and neutral.

Just a question. Why are these fixtures on a GFCI ? Are they by a pool?

john h

Re: GFCI tripping on photocell operated luminaire

Thanks for the quick replies. Wayne A. - You gave me good food for thought. First, the circuit did require GFCI, it was outdoors and, I believe, in proximity to a pool. HID vs. incandescent - not sure, I will go back to the electrician. It was not an old GFCI, I do know that and when he disconnected the luminaires, the ground problem disappeared and the GFCI was fine. Thanks for the suggestions about leakage in the cell and the HID fast spike. They well could be the culprit. If I learn more, I'll be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.