GFCI Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan H.

Hi,

I have a question regarding a new GFCI installation that I am hoping someone here can help me with. I'm volunteering on a minor remodel project of a home purchased for transitional housing. There are two outlets in the kitchen, and both are on separate circuits with separate circuit breakers from the main panel located in the adjoining laundry room. Each of the outlets appear to be the first outlet in their respective "chain" of outlets. As you would expect, there are two cables in each back box, one coming from the panel and one going on to the next outlet. The ground from each cable is mechanically connected to each other and the back box as well as the ground terminal on the outlets.

I shut both breakers off to replace both outlets. I replaced the first outlet with a GFCI receptacle and energized that circuit. Appeared to work great, pressed test button and it tripped. Pressed reset and it reset. I checked the other known outlets that were installed after this outlet and everything looked good. I did terminate the conductors coming from the panel to the LINE side of the GFCI, and the remaining outlets to the LOAD side of the GFCI receptacle. Black to Gold (HOT) and White to Silver (Neutral).

I then replaced the second outlet with a GFCI receptacle. When I energized this circuit however, the first GFCI tripped. Not the breaker, just the GFCI. So I completely removed the second GFCI and capped the conductors. I energized the second circuit and this time the first GFCI did not trip. So I shut off the second circuit, connected just the LINE side of the second GFCI, and turned it back on. The first GFCI tripped. I then disconnected the second GFCI and tried a spare GFCI. Same. I disconnected again and connected just the original non GFCI receptacle. Again I energized the second circuit and the first GFCI tripped.

Not sure if this is enough info, but any insight would be greatly appreciated. I will likely need to bring in an electrician, but I also thought perhaps someone has seen a similar situation and might be able to provide a few hints.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.