GFCI vs. Arc-Fault breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
When upgrading the electrical in an old house I have come across old two wire circuits(NO GROUND). In a master bedroom, is it better to install a new 3 wire recepts. and put them on a GFCI breaker or use a Arc-fault breaker? I know under the 2008 NEC all new construction must have the bedrooms recepts on Arc-fault protection. I've heard that a combonation GFCI/ARC-FAULT will soon be on the market. Can anyone help?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Be careful not to confuse the term combo arc fault. A combo arc fsult hsd nothing to do with a GFCI protection.

zi do bnelieve there were some units out there that were combo gfci/arc fault but aI am not sure they exist as combo afci/gfci along with a combo afci. Combo afci work on parallel as well as series fault.

You could install a gfci recep. and then add a combo arc fault to the circuit.

tryinghard

If this is already and upgrade it's best to upgrade the circuitry to include the equipment ground conductor. Arc fault is required in new but most items plugged into bedroom circuits are deviod of equipment ground, two prong cord caps.

S'mise

If you wanted to upgrade without changing the wiring, you need to use gfci's and label each grounded outlet "No equiptment ground" Yes, AFCI's are the new code but you don't have to bring it up to code if you are just replacing receptacles. Far as I know, code requires having an eq ground in your house wiring in Afci circuits. Don't hold your breath on the combo gfci/afci comming out.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If you wanted to upgrade without changing the wiring, you need to use gfci's and label each grounded outlet "No equiptment ground" Yes, AFCI's are the new code but you don't have to bring it up to code if you are just replacing receptacles. Far as I know, code requires having an eq ground in your house wiring in Afci circuits. Don't hold your breath on the combo gfci/afci comming out.

A lot of juridictions require upgrade to latest code if the service is changed out, arc faults do not require an equipment ground for proper operation, it works better with one, but is not required. Arcs can be between the hot and neutral, as well as hot to ground.

S'mise

A lot of juridictions require upgrade to latest code if the service is changed out, arc faults do not require an equipment ground for proper operation, it works better with one, but is not required. Arcs can be between the hot and neutral, as well as hot to ground.

From the op it sounded like he was just changing outlets from 2 prong to three prong. If a service change was done I would hope he would change the 2 wire to 3 wire. You dont want to just put in a three prong outlet without putting in the gfci and labeling No eqpt ground stickers

Thanks Hillbilly, I didn't know afci's can be on a 2wire. Worth rereading that article.

Status
Not open for further replies.