GFCI with UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I have an install where there is a 19" rack with a TrippLite UPS feeding various IT components (switch, server, router, etc...). The fiber modem is on the other side of the basement, and needs UPS backup as well. Simple solution: install a male cord cap and tail in the IT rack, and run UPS power to a receptacle at the fiber modem. This works just fine; fiber modem receptacle is color-coded and placarded so someone doesn't try to plug in a shop vac and trip the UPS.

The issue is that this is an unfinished basement. A dead-front GFCI was installed to protect the fiber modem receptacle, but it trips every time the UPS transfers to/from battery power. This obviously defeats the purpose of placing the modem on UPS power. The UPS in the rack is fed from a GFCI receptacle, and that receptacle holds just fine.

We've tried ferrites to help control any switching spikes, to no avail. Whatever the UPS is doing to the AC waveform, the dead-front GFCI doesn't like it. I suppose we could try something like a line reactor with more inductance than a ferrite choke to help control switching transients, but I'm hesitant to just shotgun parts at this.

A coworker argued that the dead-front GFCI isn't necessary, as the circuit is already GFCI protected by the receptacle feeding the UPS. For now, we removed the dead-front GFCI, and everything is working just fine. Thoughts?

SceneryDriver

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
What sort of power does the fiber modem use? I understand that you have a 120V AC receptacle at the fiber modem, but does the unit take 120V, or does it have an external power supply plugged into the receptacle, and then low voltage going to the modem?

Could you put the power supply in the 19" rack, and then run low voltage across the basement?

-Jon

SceneryDriver

Occupation
What sort of power does the fiber modem use? I understand that you have a 120V AC receptacle at the fiber modem, but does the unit take 120V, or does it have an external power supply plugged into the receptacle, and then low voltage going to the modem?

Could you put the power supply in the 19" rack, and then run low voltage across the basement?

-Jon
We looked at that. It's a Verizon power supply, with some kind of proprietary DC barrel-like connector, so probably not an option. Good idea though.

SceneryDriver

SceneryDriver

Occupation
like the idea that the first GFCI is sufficient.
I've had such good luck with RK electronics and GFCI inductive feedback, I would try one of theirs or similar.
RCS1A6. RKERCS1A6
Most likely somewhat less expensive than a constant conversion type UPS.
I think we have a few of those kicking around from a previous project. I'll give it a try. Good idea!

SceneryDriver

SceneryDriver

Occupation
like the idea that the first GFCI is sufficient.
I've had such good luck with RK electronics and GFCI inductive feedback, I would try one of theirs or similar.
RCS1A6. RKERCS1A6
Most likely somewhat less expensive than a constant conversion type UPS.
We tried the surge RC suppressor. Didn't do a thing, unfortunately; GFCI still trips when on UPS power and/or switching to/from UPS. I even tried lifting the ground on the deadfront GFCI with no effect. The GFCI must not like the waveform of the UPS for some reason. I haven't had a chance to put my scope meter on it to see just how bad the UPS waveform is, but it's likely not pretty.

SceneryDriver

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We tried the surge RC suppressor. Didn't do a thing, unfortunately; GFCI still trips when on UPS power and/or switching to/from UPS. I even tried lifting the ground on the deadfront GFCI with no effect. The GFCI must not like the waveform of the UPS for some reason. I haven't had a chance to put my scope meter on it to see just how bad the UPS waveform is, but it's likely not pretty.

SceneryDriver
Well, I guess my UPS does not have a GFCI on the load side of it.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Does the GFCI still trip if the power supply for the modem is unplugged? Or if just the barrel connector feeding DC to the modem is unplugged?
It does still trip even if nothing else is connected. It's definitely not happy with the UPS waveform for some reason.

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.