GFCI within 18" of vending machine male plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbo

I retired a few years ago and very concerned while on vacation in Md. The hotel that we ( including grandkids) always stay out have installed 2 vending machines within 13' of edge of outdoor hot tub. Neither have GFCI devices that I thought was.required within 18" of 120 volt plug. The large hospital that I retired from 3 years ago all had the cord GFCI'S near plug. They both plug into their own 25' extension cords. Can anyone let me know if this is against the NEC. Do older machines have a grandfather clause that does require such an important safety device.Thanks. Intend to visit the local L&I concetning this.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code requires GFCI protection for the vending machine but does not require that protection to be in the cord. The following methods are permitted in the 2020 code.
422.5(B) Type and Location.

The GFCI shall be readily accessible, listed, and located in one or more of the following locations:
(1) Within the branch-circuit overcurrent device
(2) A device or outlet within the supply circuit
(3) An integral part of the attachment plug
(4) Within the supply cord not more than 300 mm (12 in.) from the attachment plug
(5) Factory installed within the appliance

The 2014 code had the requirement that you are speaking of, but that is being left to the product standards and the more general requirement I posted above.
The 2014 code said this:
422.51 Vending Machines.

(A) Cord-and Plug-Connected.
Cord-and plug-connected vending machines manufactured or remanufactured on or after January 1, 2005, shall include a ground-fault circuit interrupter as an integral part of the attachment plug or be located within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug. Older vending machines manufactured or remanufactured prior to January 1, 2005, shall be connected to a GFCI-protected outlet.

(B) Other Than Cord-and Plug-Connected.
Vending machines not utilizing a cord and plug connection shall be connected to a ground-fault circuit-interrupter protected circuit.

So no matter how you do it, the vending machine is required to have GFCI protection.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Could be protected by gfci breaker? I know the facility would love for you to plug in a tester and trip it! LOL! That may be why it doesn’t appear to have gfi protection, but then again, you may be correct, and it isn’t protected. I have found some jurisdictions say a gfi receptacle would not be accessible behind the vending machine, and require it to be a breaker.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Could be protected by gfci breaker? I know the facility would love for you to plug in a tester and trip it! LOL! That may be why it doesn’t appear to have gfi protection, but then again, you may be correct, and it isn’t protected. I have found some jurisdictions say a gfi receptacle would not be accessible behind the vending machine, and require it to be a breaker.
Or an accessible dead front gfci device upstream of the receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.