GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I work in an office building.One of our suites was recently renovated. There is a room with a sink refrigerator and a separate countertop,which will be used for a commercial coffee maker ,microwaves, toasters,water dispenser and others per say not cooking only warming of foods units.My question: Since there are no permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking are GFCI required to serve counterparts receptacles? The sink is 5ft across the room from counter.Thank You...and once again Thank You for helping me acquire my Journeyman. .GOD Speed Mr Holt Staff ,Forum Moderators and members.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
the '11 Code requires GFCI for all 15 and 20 amp 125v receptacles "where the receptacles are installed within 6 ft of the outside edge of a sink". "Food prep" is not a consideration.

the '11 Code requires GFCI for all 15 and 20 amp 125v receptacles "where the receptacles are installed within 6 ft of the outside edge of a sink". "Food prep" is not a consideration.
If the room is considered, named and used as a kitchen then wouldn't 210.8 (B) (2) be applicable. Article 100.Definitions.Thank You for your help and guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If the room is considered, named and used as a kitchen then wouldn't 210.8 (B) (2) be applicable. Article 100.Definitions.Thank You for your help and guidance.
You can call a room anything you want, but does it meet the definition of what you're calling it. As also stated a couple of GFCI's is probably not going to break anyone, but as an inspector I can't force you to put them in.

GFCI

Installed them before contacting The Forum. I only ask so that I may gain the experience that a novice Journeyman like me can get a sense of what is the Code. Since I am now a journeyman, I am expected to bring to the table a concise explanation of what I am trying to achieve. I need to speak and quote the Code with the assurance that the Mike Holt training has provided me. Sometimes the Quote is like the Bible, I have read it all my life and is still somewhat confusing. Thank You:)

kwired

Electron manager
As already stated you can call any room a kitchen, NEC has a definition for kitchen in art 100, if it don't meet that definition it is not a kitchen as applied to NEC.

Problem with the definition is "permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking" seems to leave things wide open to interpretation. There have been many debates here over what meets that definition and what doesn't.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Each state and local jurisdiction can have its own rules. Washington State has its own definition of kitchen, and the room you described meets that definition. So if the project were here, then GFCI protection would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.