GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlg

Hello, was just wondering what the rules are for GFCI. Basically I need to know when (what year) a structure requires GFCI protection. I have a building built in 1972 and our insurance company says these need to be installed per the code. My contention is it only required after a certain year or if an upgrade is done to the system. Your thoughts. Thanks

racraft

Re: GFCI

I cannot answer your question about what year, as you did not provide enough information, and because I do not have access to code books.

Here is what I can offer:

What is your insurance requiring? If all they require is that the building meet code for when it was built or remodeled, then your question might be valid. If however, they are requiring certain modifications in order to issue insurance then they have every right to make such requests, especially when comlying will reduce the risk of certain types of injuries.

rlg

They are our current carrier. During a safety inspection they said we needed GFCI protection. Again, my point is that a building built before a certain year is not required to have this protection. If the wiring has been modified then they should also be installed, but the wiring has never been modified.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

An insurance company may have their own rules.

In 72 GFCI's were not required, but this won't help you if they are requiring it.

In most areas it's legal to own Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Wolf high breds etc... but many insurance companies will not insure you.

Roger

rlg

Excellent point, but they are our current carrier. If this was a requirement of being insured then they should have done a pre-inspection before insuring us. When you are speaking of a high-rise apartment building, the cost would be outrageous to install. Point being: they can't change the rules after the deal has been made.

charlie

I think you need to read the fine print of the policy. Most insurance companies can cancel your policy because you have a hangnail.

iwire

Staff member

They might not cancel your policy, just raise the rate to the point that the GFCIs are the cheap way out. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.