Gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a school enviroment can any one tell me in an older school when our safety personel do there inspections they write us up sinks in class rooms and science labs having no GFCI receptacles. Is there any place in the code that says these older campuses (were talking 20 years or more) HAVE to have these or as they go bad it ok to then change them out to GFCI or is there some type of grandfather clause. Doe anyone know if there is a code stating this?? thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I work in a school enviroment can any one tell me in an older school when our safety personel do there inspections they write us up sinks in class rooms and science labs having no GFCI receptacles. Is there any place in the code that says these older campuses (were talking 20 years or more) HAVE to have these or as they go bad it ok to then change them out to GFCI or is there some type of grandfather clause. Doe anyone know if there is a code stating this?? thanks

If they go bad you must install the GFCI to make them compliant. It is also a good idea to change them out before they go bad just for the safety of it. There is no code that would require you to do so if you are not replacing them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
First I will clarify my answer by saying, we don't do schools here, they are done by the state.

The private schools we do are considered commercial and so there would be no requirement for a GFCI at a sink, other than the one's stated in article 210. It would be a very good idea and I have never even had to suggest it as there is always one there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess I should clarify that recep. within 6' of the sink need gfci not all receptacles in the room. art. 210.8(B)(5)

Status
Not open for further replies.