GFCI's and water movers

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's been a while since I was here but, I know there is a wealth of info being passed along in this forum so, I'm back :cool:

Anyway, I live in a lake community and was asked by the lake association if I would test and inspect the electrical connections for those lake-front houses that are using water movers to keep the algae, leaves, etc. from accumulating at their docks and water fronts. The first one I inspected was done by a homeowner, but you would think it was done by an experienced electrical contractor. All wiring was done in PVC, proper connections, proper JB's, proper in-use covers and the GFCI protection worked perfectly. The next two I inspected were not so great. In both cases the GFCI protection worked perfectly but the homeowners buried 16-gauge extension cords below their lawns (and I'm sure it was not more that 6" down). One house had the extension cord buried up to one side of the lawn where he had festooned lights plugged in, split it from there and then ran extension cords on the lawn's surface down to the dock area.

So, here are my questions (aside from Code compliance)
  1. Should I be concerned about electrifying the water in the water mover area as long as the GFCI's are functioning properly?
  2. The lake association claims that they have no concern with Code compliance on the homeowner's property as long as the GFCI's work. Should I be concerned and/or would I have a liability in the event of an electrification?
I want to add that in most cases there would not be anyone swimming in these areas - but we don't know that for sure. The lake is about 1/2-mile long and about 1000' wide. The closest swimming area is about 800' away.

Thanks in advance for your responses.