GFCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

straps

I am building a Temporary power station for Our Christmas Lights outside our church..
All outlets are GFCIs found a very cheap source for them $5 per outlet.( Send private email for source. UL approved )
I plan on running 14-3 1 length to each bell box and use a community ground for each of the 2 circuits contained there in each pair of gfcis will have a in use cover.
Each circuit will have its own 15 amp c/b. Used 14/3 uf It is a GE TLM 1212 outdoor panel. It will have a 30 foot cord to plug into a 60 amp sub service feed.Mounted on a 12 by 12 pvc box. Cord is sjo 6/4 at main panel protetced with a 2 pole 60 amp breaker
The entire pyramid is 36 wide at top by 4 foot high by 4 foot wide at the bottom. With 2 Panels 1 is a 30 amp squared panel outdoor ( 8 circuits) the second is a ge tlm1212 outdoor with 20 circuits. The whole thing will be made from pressure treated plywood. Covered in flat roof sealant paint then painted green to match the grass where it will sit for 24 days then stored for next year this will only be used via extension cords for low wattage pin bulb light assemblies. Yes there will be a electrican on the premises any time power is on. Me! Its a private thing but I work for GOD Inc. Maybe thats why my business has skyrocketed and the hurricanes keep going elsewhere.
Thanks god.
Any constructive comments are greatly appreciated.

sparky_magoo

Re: GFCIs

I don't understand the configuration. Is 14/3 UF feeding the pyramid? If so, what exactly is the 6/3 supplying? Please clarify. Considering the high failure rate of name brand GFCI's, like Leviton, I would be reluctant use use no-name bargain units.

davedottcom

"It will have a 30 foot cord to plug into a 60 amp sub service feed"

You are plugging it into a 60 amp receptacle fed from a sub panel???

You lost me there!

straps

From the sub panel inside we ran 3 #6s thru a 1&1/2' PVC to a 12 x 12 pvc box we will have a 60 amp female socket that will have a 30 foot sjo cord feeding 60amp svc for 1 end of the tent and the second is a 30 amp service feeding a second panel for the other end of the tent thru a 30 amp plug/socket arraignment this way it is totally disconnectable.
Each of the 60 and the 30 will have in use covers mounted on the sides of the 12 x 12 pvc box.The 60 amp is a male female range plug and the 30 is a dryer male female plugs

straps

The no name brand gfcis were used last year and this year we had a total of 10 failures out of 130 of them.Mind you we only use them for 24 days each year and then also for special occasions.

straps

The 14-3 feeds from the panels to the bell boxes.

Hope this explains it a bit better
Many thanks

davedottcom

Originally posted by straps:
From the sub panel inside we ran 3 #6s thru a 1&1/2' PVC to a 12 x 12 pvc box
If you're running 240V you will need 4 conductors. Keeping your G's & N's seperate.

The 60 amp is a male female range plug and the 30 is a dryer male female plugs
I've never seen a 60 Amp Range outlet. What Nema configuration are you using?

Sparky, he is using the 14/3 to feed sets of 2 GFCI outlets in 2-gang boxes. Each GFCI on it's own breaker. That part sounds ok! :)

Dave

straps

dave hope you got the message okay re gfcis. Yes I understand put in a extra strip of grounds to keep the grounds and the neutrals seperate.
NEMA Config is a 4 prong rv male-female plugs will test tonight or monday for smoke test.
What is the opinion on 1 neutral for 2 gfcis will it hold okay?
I got the idea from when we worked the north tower of the World Trade Center we used a commercially built temporary power supply for the first 60 floors but somebody pushed it and it fell down a elevator shaft and the owner would not buy a new one so we built one and it worked okay still in use upstate New York on a building site.
Saw one also on e-bay looks like the original one we had at the wtc

Thanks guys :cool:

davedottcom

Straps, how could you keep the G's & N's seperate if you only have 3 #6's ?
That's impossible! :p

Sharing neutrals in multiwire circuits is a very common wiring practice and is fine if done correctly!

straps

Sorry dave I also ran a #10 green for a safety ground as well as 3 #10s in the same conduit.
Black-Red-White-Green.
Ran the 10s to a 30 amp dryer plug and the 6s to the rv plug used the 10 green as a safety for both .
Jack
Texas our prayers are with you all stay dry sparkys

Status
Not open for further replies.