Gfcis

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

Hey guys two questions about gfi receps. One is serious and one is hypothetical. The serious one would a island recept be considered to serve countertop surfaces. Im my opinion yes according to a buddy of mine the answear is no. SInce they arent above the counter. The other one is purely hypothetical. Acording to the code they are required in a bathroom. Well if you have a 2part bathroom as in a sink in one room then a door that leads into the lavortorie and a shower. So before 2005 requirement that one has to be installed within 6 ft of the sink. Would the code have required a gfi recep next to this sink? Like I said this is hypothetical the answear in common sense is you put one in. However is this code since the sink is not in a defined bathroom

physis

Re: Gfcis

would a island recept be considered to serve countertop surfaces
210.52(C)(2) Island Counter Spaces.

I'll leave out the code wording because the answer's also in the name of the subsection. The GFI receptacle is required for "island counter space".

210.52(D) says the receptacle has to be within three feet of the outside edge of the basin.

Edit: 210.8(A)(6) is the GFI requirement for countertops. Making 210.52(C)(2) require a GFI because it's counter space.

[ July 23, 2005, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

hurk27

Sam
210.52(C)(5) is the allowance that allows a receptacle below the counter top to serve the counter top:

Exception: To comply with the conditions specified in (a) or (b), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be mounted not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop. Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance with this exception shall not be located where the countertop extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its support base.
If it is installed for the requirment in 210.52(C)(2) then it serves the counter top and is required to be GFCI protected, as 210.8(A)(6)requires.

physis

Wayne did you misread my post? :D

Edit: It doesn't matter if the receptacle is required or not. If it serves a countertop it has to be GFI.

Or Is there something I'm missing?

210.8(A)(6) Kitchens - where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces.

[ July 23, 2005, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

would a island recept be considered to serve countertop surfaces
I guess I didn't actually answer the question very well. I'll try it again.

Any 1' x 2' or larger island counter has to have a GFI receptacle.
210.52(C)(2) and 210.8(A)(6).

After that receptacle requirement is met another receptacle could be installed. As long as it's for a purpose other than serving the countertop it wouldn't have to be GFI protected. But depending on where it's installed you might end up in an argument with an inspector as to whether or not it serves the countertop.

Is that better Wayne? :)

physis

I really didn't answer so good the first time around Wayne, If you didn't say anything I wouldn't have looked at it again so your bad eyes paid off. :D

electricmanscott

I'll ignore the previous six posts becuse it looks like they are trying to make this "one of those threads". :p You are required to install at least one receptacle on an island that is 24X12 or more. If there is no backsplash to install the receptacle,it shall not be more than 12" below the countertop. Those are the requirements. The reason for these requirements is so you have a receptacle to serve the countertop, therefore gfci protection is mandatory.

allenwayne

Just to keep things going along with no more than 12 i. below counter top. There can`t be more than 6 in`s of overhang ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.