GFI for Shower Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all
I'm working on some condo units where they've got recessed lights over all the showers and tubs. The question has come up if we have to provide GFI protection for these or not. Although I've seen this as a requirement in specs before, I'm not so sure its an actual code requirement. As far as I can see, 410.8 only requires them be suitable for wet locations. I don't see any GFI requiremnt unless its called for by the manufacturer's instructions. have i missed something?

Also, what's everyone's opinion about switches next to showers? I've got at least one very tight bathroom where the plans place switches right next to the shower. Its always been my personal preference to never place switches within reach of the shower, but I can't back that up with any code. 410.8 tells me lights within 3 ft must be rated for damp locations, but thats lights, not switches. Only thing I can find is 404.4 saying they can't be in the shower, but what about 1 foot away. Common sense seems to apply, but can someone come up with a code article?

Thanks much, happy Friday

M. D.

You seem to be spot on ,..except the ceiling in most cases is a damp location ,..

As far as switch location?? I don't go out of my way to put them next to the shower but if that is what it is,.. then that is what it is,..a switch next to a shower stall ,.there are millions of them.
edited to add;
Hot tubs and spas excluded

Last edited:

JohnJ0906

GFCI protection for a shower recess is not required by the NEC. It may be required by the manufacterers instructions, or by specs.

As far as the switch, I agree with M.D. -

As far as switch location?? I don't go out of my way to put them next to the shower but if that is what it is,.. then that is what it is,..a switch next to a shower stall ,.there are millions of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.