GFI neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

Why do you say that, Bob? Have you tested one that keeps the neutral conductor connected?

In troubleshooting GFCI protected circuits, one of the tell-tale signs of a bad GFI is the lack of neutral to ground continuity on downstream outlets. This I have learned from years of experience troubleshooting such circuits.

iwire

Staff member
kbsparky said:
Why do you say that, Bob?

Because that had been my experience.

A few minutes ago I took apart a Pass & Seymour GFCI receptacle.

It switched the neutral.

I looked at Levitons site and they say all their GFCI products switch the neutral.

So I will eat crow on GFCI receptacles, I am still not convinced GFCI breakers open the neutral.

But I may eat crow on that as well.:grin:

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
Okay, let me find a defective GFCI breaker, a hammer, and a fork for Bob. :grin:

:grin:

Heck the P&S GFCI receptacle that I disected was brand new in the box.

If I had any GFCI breakers here at the house (nope none in my panel either) I would have broken it open. :cool:

RampyElectric

I got you all beat, the pet psychic in my neighborhood contacted Mr. Kirchoff.....why he said he had never even heard of GFI.....how ridiculous!

No seriously you guys have given me so many new curiousities and questions that Im gonna set up a demo circuit on my practice board (shut up, so Im a geek, so what) and see what happens.....if I dont post for a while Ill be right back with the results just as soon as the burns heal......

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have never ever seen a GFCI breaker that switches the neutral. In most cases of switched neutral breakers they take up (1) additional pole space in the panel making a 1-pole breaker the size of a 2-pole.

This is not true of GFCI receptacles. Many (if not all) of the new generation GFCI receptacles do open the neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.